Interest Only Vs Repayment

Options
I am a bit confused here. Everyone advise to have a repayment mortgage.But isn't it better to have an interest only one and
1.> save the difference between the two into a current account with good interest
2.> Every year reduce the mortgage capital by paying from the above savings.

In the first look the above looks exactly like what a repayment mortgage does. But are we not loosing the interest we can get in the first step above.

Thanks
Maveli

Comments

• skim
    skim Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I suppose it depends how the interest on your mortgage is calculated
    daily, monthly or yearly although I'd guess you are better off paying repayment.
  • maveli
    maveli Posts: 590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think mine is yearly. Otherwise I should see my payment reducing everymonth ?
  • nobblyned
    nobblyned Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    You would essentially lose out by doing this method. You will pay tax on the interest from the savings account and hence have less to put towards your mortgage.

If you paid direct into the mortgage the interest would saved from the mortgage rather than credited to your savings account and hence no tax paid.

Yoyur scheme would only work if the savings interest rate minus tax was still greater than the mortgage interest rate. Don't forget to take into account the extra tax if you are a top rate payer.
  • nobblyned
    nobblyned Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    maveli wrote: »
    I think mine is yearly. Otherwise I should see my payment reducing everymonth ?

Payments will stay the same through the life of the mortgage regardless of how interest is charged, though the split between interest and capital will change with time with a repayment mortgage.
  • andrewmoorcroft
    Options
    I have an interest only mortgage and do my own repayment - well may one day! My mortgage is the base rate for 5 years.
    I have always managed to find cash ISA's that give better interest than the base rate so i make the difference (ISA - mortgage = 0.5% typical). In effect they are lending me money that i invest at a higher rate than they charge me to borrow the money! What's also fairly safe is a top 100 / all share index ISA that is likely to make 10%+ per year over a 5 year+ period. You can easily get other cash accounts that beat the base rate but the taxation mentioned in a previous post loses the profit but it will work if your partner is a non taxpayer.
    What i am about to say may be unpopular but as far as i'm concerned a repayment mortgage is for those who's circumstances dont allow them to find a low rate mortgage OR cant be bothered to make the difference described above OR just dont understand etc.
    Cash ISA rate 6.5% fixed for 2 years. Mortgage rate 0.75% = 5.75% profit on £75K = £4500 per year:j
    Mortgages make money. Definitely don't wanabee mortgage free!
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Biggest problem is that people don't (or can't) budget for a repayment mortgage before taking an interest-only one, so no spare cash for ISAs etc.
  • andrewmoorcroft
    Options
    ManAtHome wrote: »
    Biggest problem is that people don't (or can't) budget for a repayment mortgage before taking an interest-only one, so no spare cash for ISAs etc.
    The amount that a society lends is based on the ability to pay a repayment OR interest + investment mortgage (no real difference in affordability). It's down to discpline because there is nothing to stop people not planning to pay off the capital. Shame that societies do not follow up that people are doing the investments required to pay the capital although i guess some people plan on never paying until they die when it's repossessd- (cheeky alternative to renting spose)!
    Cash ISA rate 6.5% fixed for 2 years. Mortgage rate 0.75% = 5.75% profit on £75K = £4500 per year:j
    Mortgages make money. Definitely don't wanabee mortgage free!
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    maveli wrote: »
    I am a bit confused here. Everyone advise to have a repayment mortgage.But isn't it better to have an interest only one and
    1.> save the difference between the two into a current account with good interest
    2.> Every year reduce the mortgage capital by paying from the above savings.

In the first look the above looks exactly like what a repayment mortgage does. But are we not loosing the interest we can get in the first step above.

Thanks
    Maveli

An Interest only one is basically an endowment mortgage and we all know how they worked out.

Saving the capital portion works really well until something happens such as more kids or unemployment and all of a sudden, the temptation to dip into that large pot of money you have there becomes too much.
  • Jennifer_Jane
    Jennifer_Jane Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    An Interest only one is basically an endowment mortgage and we all know how they worked out.

Saving the capital portion works really well until something happens such as more kids or unemployment and all of a sudden, the temptation to dip into that large pot of money you have there becomes too much.

I don't think there is anything actually called an 'endowment' mortgage. The endowment was simply a way of having an insurance-based investment over the term of the mortgage to repay it on completion. Interest-only mortgages have got nothing to do with any investment - it's up to you to be able to repay it in due course, although the lender may require evidence that an investment is in place.

Whilst my previous mortgages have been repayment, I was still required to have an insurance product in case I died. I currently have an interest-only mortgage with no obvious means of repayment - although it should be repaid after 7 years at this year-end.

Love
    Jen x
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The amount that a society lends is based on the ability to pay a repayment OR interest + investment mortgage (no real difference in affordability).
    Out of interest, do lenders (have to) assume a rate of return on investment - you could lend a more by using 10% instead of 5% for example.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure