We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

My home network is in a right mess- can you help?

124

Comments

  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,914
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Virus? Directly connect (via cable) the laptop to the router and allow to update including anti-virus software and do a full check.

    Faulty router? Disconnect the extender (after the above) and see how the lap-top connects.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    have you checked what channels the wifi is being broadcast on from the router and from the extender?
    I had some problems with connections when my access point was broadcasting on the same channel as the router, if you have an android phone there are a couple of apps you can download to see the channels being used (or if you can get into the settings of each even better)
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • JulyKnot
    JulyKnot Posts: 189 Forumite
    modem router login page and mywifiext.net both say channel 6 ( means nothing to me I'm afraid)

    I hope it's not a virus. I just let this Kaspersky trial run in the background.I've had it less than two weeks
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ditch the Netgear and switch to TP Link instead. Much better quality and excellent price too. I had similar problems with my old Netgear dropping connections all the time but <touch wood> haven't had a problem since replacing it. Much better wi-fi coverage too so you should be able to ditch the extender too.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    change them to broadcast on different channels
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • JulyKnot
    JulyKnot Posts: 189 Forumite
    Ditch the Netgear and switch to TP Link instead. Much better quality and excellent price too. I had similar problems with my old Netgear dropping connections all the time but <touch wood> haven't had a problem since replacing it. Much better wi-fi coverage too so you should be able to ditch the extender too.
    Briefly looked at that page while windows is updating and I wouldn't know which to get.

    I have basic broadband long way from the exchange and low speed. What would you recommend?
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    JulyKnot wrote: »
    Briefly looked at that page while windows is updating and I wouldn't know which to get.

    I have basic broadband long way from the exchange and low speed. What would you recommend?

    The one I have is the TD-W8968 which cost about £30 on Amazon but they now have the TD-W8980 available in this country which is better again :)
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • JulyKnot
    JulyKnot Posts: 189 Forumite
    Well I couldn't resist and found that whatever the issue is, it's not resolved by windows update.

    Tried to connect wirelessly to router and got the old unidentified network with no internet access. Then tried connecting to extender- couldn't connect at all.

    Then only able to connect wirelessly to extender after rebooting laptop.

    Can't think it can be a channel issue as it's worked before . And at the moment only one machine playing up and then rectifying itself of sorts after a reboot.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    edited 7 February 2013 at 4:58PM
    but if they are broadcasting on the same channel they can interfere with each other - it will take you about 2 mins to try it and it could be that, seems silly to dismiss it, but it's up to you
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • JulyKnot
    JulyKnot Posts: 189 Forumite
    It took me a while but I was finally able to access the drop down menu and change the channel number from the router login.

    However when I went into mywifiext.net, the extender channel had also changed to the same number. So it seems I can't have them on different channels.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.