We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Old Dell C400 Latitude & internet connection
pedro123456
Posts: 815
Forumite
in Techie Stuff
I was going to buy a i pad to take on holiday,and surf the net while other half sunbathes, and then I remembered that I had a old laptop (had it for years and hardly been switched on) anyway, charged it up and it seams to work ok.
So can anyone tell me the best way to get it to connect to the internet as a portable device, either here or abroad.
I have a little understanding of computers but that's where my knowledge stops.
Can I get a wi fi card if so what sort? if so are they hard to put in and get?
Can I use a dongle thing?
Any help appreciated.
So can anyone tell me the best way to get it to connect to the internet as a portable device, either here or abroad.
I have a little understanding of computers but that's where my knowledge stops.
Can I get a wi fi card if so what sort? if so are they hard to put in and get?
Can I use a dongle thing?
Any help appreciated.
Campaigning to recycle Insurance Policies into Toilet Paper :rotfl:
Z
Z
0
Comments
-
There's three ways to get wifi on the C400, a USB wireless dongle, a wireless PCMCIA card (not an express card) and an internal wireless mini-pci card. Due to the C400's having a single and usually dodgy USB port I wouldn't go with a USB dongle plus they usually stick out quite a bit from the laptop.
A wireless pcmcia card is convenient to install as it just slides in the side although ideally if there's anyone technical that can help you I'd go for the wireless mini-pci card which fits internally. Even for the C400's that were sold without an internal wireless card, the wireless aerial is still fitted so it gives better reception.
John0 -
Before doing any of the above it's worth checking whether yours already has an internal wireless card.
Is the service tag number still visible on the bottom of the laptop?How do I add a signature?0 -
the answer depends where you are going to be, near a wireless router/tether device that you can attach to or not, and which operating system it is.
it may have a 802.1b wireless card installed under the bottom cover!!
> . !!!! ----> .0 -
It hasn't got a wireless card in.
I went to the computer shop yesterday afternoon, and they said because it's running windows 2000 , and a intel pentium 3, it would not be suitable for the internet?Campaigning to recycle Insurance Policies into Toilet Paper :rotfl:
Z0 -
pedro123456 wrote: »It hasn't got a wireless card in.
I went to the computer shop yesterday afternoon, and they said because it's running windows 2000 , and a intel pentium 3, it would not be suitable for the internet?
That is not a problem, but do you have the external CD drive that came with it?
Even if you do, you may need to spend money on the thing to bring it up to spec.
Perhaps more RAM and a Wireless card.
Low density SD RAM such as this is needed and perhaps this PCMCIA card for £4.49. Though you can spend a little more to get one that supports WPA2 encryption.
So unless you are thinking of second hand, you are looking at £20 or so.
Another thing is; what if there is no WiFi available at your destination... you may wish to avail yourself of mobile broadband. In this case a Mifi unit or a USB modem in conjunction with a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card will be of use.
What about the Service Tag?0 -
I do have the external disc drive that came with it somewhere Nifty, the thing is this laptop has barely been switched on, only to charge it up, its immaculate, and totally original.I dont mind spending a few quid on it for that reason, but it has to be able to get me on the internet somehow, preferably through wi fi.
It has a service tag I reckon, but at the mo its with the brother in law for him to look at, it will probably come back useless.Campaigning to recycle Insurance Policies into Toilet Paper :rotfl:
Z0 -
pedro123456 wrote: »I do have the external disc drive that came with it somewhere Nifty, the thing is this laptop has barely been switched on, only to charge it up, its immaculate, and totally original.I dont mind spending a few quid on it for that reason, but it has to be able to get me on the internet somehow, preferably through wi fi.
It has a service tag I reckon, but at the mo its with the brother in law for him to look at, it will probably come back useless.
"Somewhere" won't help you.
You need to find it and make sure that it works before you proceed.
Also, you should consider the battery life of the thing. Probably fine when new, but how is it now?
You'll probably need to be close to a power source, so no surfing by the pool.
Seems there is a huge gap between an iPad and this thing. Have you considered something in the middle?
0 -
I can find it Nifty its just a bit out the way
, The battery if fine, 97% and holds its charge for 2 hour+
As for an alternative yes I have thought about it, I'm a little bit green though on "what" to consider, I dont really want to pay i pad prices if I can help it, the size of it appeals, however I wouldn't want owt as small as the 7 inch Nexus (got big fingers)
In the meantime I have ordered the PCMCIA card, as its worth a punt for £4.49, to see if does the trick.Campaigning to recycle Insurance Policies into Toilet Paper :rotfl:
Z0 -
an internal minipci card which fits in the internal slot (you should have two pigtail leads floating about under the bottom cover for the aerial connection) can be had for less than a fiver on amazon/ebuyer, but the problem you may have is getting drivers and wpa encryption to work on 2000, (wep should work) the next problem is what are you going to connect to when out and about.!!
> . !!!! ----> .0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards