We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Sonos or Bose AirPlay?

As the title says, which one?

We have just bought a 64gb Mini Ipad specifically for music and to use with one of these wireless systems but don't know which one to get.

Does anyone have experience with either of these systems and if so what are the pros and cons for each?

Comments

  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have no experience of either, but have to ask what the logic is behind 'getting an ipad' when there's no real plan about what it will be integrated with.

    Is the plan to store all your music on the iPad, or have a separate streamer/server which will be controlled by the iPad?
  • samboette
    samboette Posts: 399
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    We bought the iPad mini to store our music as currently we have it saved on 2 different iPods and I didn't want to fill our iPads up with music etc when we like to store other things on them. I just wanted to have all our music in one place and be able to control what I listen to from anywhere in the house, rather than being in the same room as our current Bose System and having to either set up playlists or use the remote to change the track.

    I would just like to know what other people's views are on either system before we buy. I like the look of the Sonos and the idea of having the app as a controller but I not sure what the sound is like or whether to have the Play 3 or 5 version.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My view would have been not to buy the iPad, but to use a NAS or server to store the music and build a much more versatile, cost-effective and robust networked system from that base. What will you do when the iPad is full?
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • Are you happy with the sound quality of the current Bose speakers? I'm not sure whether this could be done or not but I reckon you might be able to connect the current Bose speakers to Apple Airport extreme and stream the music from your iPad.

    Ok I've a better idea. Connect the Bose speakers to your computer (I'm assuming you've one) and use Apple Remote app in your iPad to control music from the iTunes library.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.