MSE News: Households will get energy firm's cheapest deal, Government says

in Energy
16 replies 2.4K views
2»

Replies

• While I agree about those who don't have online access, there is zero excuse for anyone else.

We are responsible for our own finances, not the state and I am utterly bemused as to why they are targeting this industry specifically.

It also doesn't help, people need to get used to the idea of sitting down for half an hour a month (at least) to check over their finances and outgoings and seeing if there are ways to spend their money more wisely.

This doesnt help send that message.

If my bills go up I will be livid, I hardly feel I am on a fantastic deal as is but I have budgeted and its bad enough with everything else going up as well.

As the years drag on with no pay rise we are really starting to feel the pinch in this house and that's with everything cut to the bone already. Which is what happens in bad times of course, but for the government to stick its nose in and potentially increase my bills, well if that happens I will be royally peeved :D
  • It's MAD!

David Cameron is saying because a couch potato can't switch channels because he is too fat and lazy to reach the remote control, we should make all the TV channels play the same programs.

It's The Village (Patrick McGoohan) all over again.
    Gin, Vodka, Whiskey, taste the same, cost the same.
    Does David Cameron come from Port Meirion?
  • Whilst I am in no way an apologist for the ConDems (check out my avatar!) my understanding of this is that it will eventually result in the wholly unjustified difference in the price of standard and online being more reflective of what these tariffs cost the energy company to supply. Why should wholly disloyal tariff tarts like you and I be funded by the ripping off of an energy supplier's existing standard tariff customers? Nobody appears to have attempted an answer to this question so far.

Now, as a tariff tart myself I wiil also be financially worse off under this new initiative but unlike some I'm a realist and realise that we have been getting away with it for years and now the good/unfair times are over for wholly reasonable reasons. It could be argued that us tariff tarts cost MORE than the standard tariff customers due to our frequent switching and all the costs to the suppliers that entails (admin, CASHBACK etc). It's a ridiculously unfair industry.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

Now, as a tariff tart myself I wiil also be financially worse off under this new initiative but unlike some I'm a realist and realise that we have been getting away with it for years and now the good/unfair times are over for wholly reasonable reasons. It could be argued that us tariff tarts cost MORE than the standard tariff customers due to our frequent switching and all the costs to the suppliers that entails (admin, CASHBACK etc). It's a ridiculously unfair industry.

....but where does that thinking end??? eg I buy an electrical item online 10% cheaper than my next door neighbour who buys from a local rip off retailer (Currys anyone?) - should I therefore be penalised ? Or should the local retailer be forced to price match?? There are people who buy everyday at full retail price -should we be penalised for their laziness??
    More and more business is being transacted online - we can't/shouldn't go back to the lowest common denominator.
    Cameron & co are WRONG on this one.:(
  • edited 7 February 2013 at 9:37AM
    MillicentBystanderMillicentBystander Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    edited 7 February 2013 at 9:37AM
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ....but where does that thinking end??? eg I buy an electrical item online 10% cheaper than my next door neighbour who buys from a local rip off retailer (Currys anyone?) - should I therefore be penalised ? Or should the local retailer be forced to price match?? There are people who buy everyday at full retail price -should we be penalised for their laziness??
    More and more business is being transacted online - we can't/shouldn't go back to the lowest common denominator.
    Cameron & co are WRONG on this one.:(

I think you need to read my post again. I'm not suggesting that punters who have an online account pay the same as those on standard tariffs. I thought I had made this entirely clear. My point is we should be charged an amount that accurately reflects the amount it costs the supplier to supply our fuel - and that isn't happening at the moment (even Phil Bentley, MD of BG has publicly admitted this). Is it significant you haven't quoted the following question from my post?
    Why should wholly disloyal tariff tarts like you and I be funded by the ripping off of an energy supplier's existing standard tariff customers? Nobody appears to have attempted an answer to this question so far.
  • Trix3yTrix3y Forumite
    39 Posts
    I live on a very modest income as am retired,not one of the wealthy pensioners(should any exist) My finances are already stretched,and for this reason I shop around for the best deals for almost everything I purchase including energy. I am afraid I do not agree with some of the comments that as I have taken trouble in the past and effort to find the good deals,whilst other people might not have bothered ,I should now suffer the penalty of this most expensive commodity becoming even more costly. As commented by some other people on this forum,it is up to individuals not the state to find the best deals in life for most things.People are happy to spend hours online looking at facebook etc,why not to cut their bills and save money?
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES