We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tablet to play videos in the gym

Hi All,

I'm looking for a cheap-ish way to watch movies while I'm on the cross trainer.

First thing I'm after is a tablet suitable for the job (doesn't need to be anything more than capable of showing video) and secondly what's the best way of getting movies onto it? Ripping DVD's and transferring them over seems like the best option?

Cheers


:beer:

Comments

  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,652
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 4 February 2013 at 4:25PM
    All tablets will play movies, would you want to use it for anything else than at the gym ?

    Also you say cheapish, well how cheap is cheapish ?

    £30 - £50 ?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    you aren't pushing hard enough if you are watching videos ;)
  • custardy wrote: »
    you aren't pushing hard enough if you are watching videos ;)

    Quite the contrary, I wanna do an hour plus on the cardio machines but my rubbish attention span makes it nearly impossible. If I can get something to watch while I'm doing it I'll be fine.

    So nope, just videos
  • Wouldn't the very cheapest, and easiest, option be to buy a £40-60 portable DVD player?

    No ripping, no messing. Just watching
  • Wouldn't the very cheapest, and easiest, option be to buy a £40-60 portable DVD player?

    No ripping, no messing. Just watching

    Good idea that! Could do with a tablet as it's flat and will rest on the machine easily though
  • neilwoods
    neilwoods Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    Most portable dvd players allow the screen to rotate to make it flat, so it can go on back of headrest.

    Any tablet will do if just for videos. As putting on, get them onto pc, plus tablet in via a cable and copy over.
    Mansion TV. Avoid at all cost's :j
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Quite the contrary, I wanna do an hour plus on the cardio machines but my rubbish attention span makes it nearly impossible. If I can get something to watch while I'm doing it I'll be fine.

    So nope, just videos

    you think an hour plodding on a cross trainer is effective cardio?
  • Good idea that! Could do with a tablet as it's flat and will rest on the machine easily though
    I know you want a tablet.. But do you know how annoying it is ripping DVDs?

    How about this http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/3216/2483/-/33367973/658712111/Black-Portable-Swivel-7-Inch-Dvd-Player-Divx-With-Analogue-TV-SD-USB-Slot/ListingDetails.html

    It will also play ripped DVDs from a memory stick too... £42 makes it very MSE!
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I know what you mean about wanting to watch videos at the gym, I need something to keep my mind off the gym as I'm working out, even when working out hard.

    I would recommend Netflix or something for videos in the gym, they have an app you can download and download vids to it. Or even iplayer and catch up service apps or the Sky app if you have Sky. Ripping DVDs is so last century! lol
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.