We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Epson XP202 printer

pmduk
pmduk Posts: 10,737
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
Does anyone have any experience with this printer? I can't find many independent reviews.

Comments

  • santer_2
    santer_2 Posts: 4,406
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you intend to use compatible inks, they are expensive at the moment, and this won't change until enough of them are in use to interest the compatible cartridge manufacturers.

    Otherwise, a good printer

    This is worth considering if compatibles are going to be used

    http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/specs/11101

    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9040425/Trail/searchtext%3ESX235W.htm

    Argos have recently been substituting the SX range with the XP range, so check at the shop it is an SX
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,737
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 4 February 2013 at 1:51PM
    Thanks, I'd looked at the sx235w, but had assumed newer models would be better. reading elsewhere on here has led me to believe otherwise now. I've now reserved the sx235w at argos

    Argos now list the two models with different item codes and prices, so will ensure I check which one I get. My usual ink supplier charges £14.99 for sx235w ink-sets, but £19.99 for the xp202, the relatively low ink costs were one of the attractions of the models
  • santer_2
    santer_2 Posts: 4,406
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another option for compatibles

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capacity-Compatible-Cartridges-Printer-Magenta/dp/B007CJEG7K/ref=sr_1_3?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1359983831&sr=1-3

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B007CJEG7K/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

    If you have a supplier who sends inks which work everytime, then obviously they are worth keeping, however, if the £4 set work, and no reason they won't, it will save a bit, (£10 a set approx), so you could get a new printer with the savings from less than four sets, though hopefully you won't need to.
  • phona
    phona Posts: 249
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    Looks like it's too late now since you already made your order, but I'd just like to say I have an XP202. I've only had it a couple of months but it's been a good wee machine so far. I use it for documents for uni rather than pictures, so no idea how it does with photos.
    The best thing about it from my point of view is that it's the first printer I've got fully working on both Linux distros I use and Windows with no headaches at all! If you're just a Windows user that probably doesn't matter but any geeks reading this take note!
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,737
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 4 February 2013 at 3:32PM
    Thanks Santer, I'll give that a go, I don't print much in the way of images/photos, but the odd touch of colour can be useful in a document, my existing supplier was always cheap and reliable for my brother printer, but saving £10 a time has to be tried.

    Phona, thanks for your comments about linux, but I'm a boring windows user. The ink savings with the sx235w means it becomes far more attractive than the xp202, for my circumstances

    I'm very much a person who wants to print a document and for it to appear. All too often printers decide they're having a rest today and won't work. Certainly my least favourite part of technology somebody told me recently Computers were sent from heaven, but the devil personally invented printers
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.