We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Intermittent severe sluggishness/ hanging?

After some help please .... laptop is being weird, browsers are hanging (Chrome, Firefox, Opera; IE is disabled) and other programmes refuse to run properly. This happened last night, fine again all day and occurring again just now. Keyboard also being 'jumpy' repeatedly ending up on the wrong line as typing.

Windows updates itself regularly, I use Filehippo Update Checker and CCleaner regularly so things *should* be up to date. CCleaner has been a little odd for months, very slow when scanning and cleaning out the browsers, quite a lot crops up when I do the registry (always back up).

Yesterday I ran Avira, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware but they found nothing and I did update them all immediately prior to the scan. I don't *think* I need to defrag, that programme won't run properly but I think it's set to check regularly. Opened task manager and there are multiple copies of Chrome running (chrome.exe *32) I closed all but one now there are three again. Not sure if this is normal or denotes an infection?

Wondering if it's most likely that the laptop is full of cat hair and other sh1te and I need to have it cleaned out? That would be the third time if so! :rotfl: Also might explain the keyboard 'jumping'.

Thanks for any replies.
Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️

Comments

  • What version of windows is it?
    How much HD space have you got left?
    What make and model laptop and how old?
    Have you noticed the fan coming on more or overheating?

    Thanks
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2013 at 11:41PM
    full of sh1te software is more likely, if it does the same thing when the battery is out, post a hijackthis log
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jasocke2 wrote: »
    What version of windows is it?
    How much HD space have you got left?
    What make and model laptop and how old?
    Have you noticed the fan coming on more or overheating?

    Thanks

    Windows 7
    If that is the C drive (? :o) 187GB free of 288GB
    Sony PCG-7184M
    Three to four years old and been in daily use.

    It cuts out when it overheats and is not doing so (how I knew it needed cleaning out last time). Might feel cooler underneath than earlier tho and is working fine again. That is since it was switched off and on again, has also been unplugged from the mains but still in use. Will keep an eye on the temperature, thanks. :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.