We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Slow internet
hemophobic
Posts: 739 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Posting for my GF, her internet is really slow I made a thread before but I got a few things wrong.
The ISP is AOL, we bought a new router today it is this one http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9093575.htm
and I have plugged in new micro filters. I set it all up and ran a speed test wired into the router but it was still really slow (0.3 Mb/s down and up).
Downstream/upstream
SNR Margin 25.0/21.0 db
Line attenuation 47.5/25.0 db
Data rate 1248/448 kbps
Max rate 1152/1036 kbps
CRC 3/0
I'm not sure if it is a problem in the house or the line outside, is phoning the ISP the only thing she can do?
The ISP is AOL, we bought a new router today it is this one http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9093575.htm
and I have plugged in new micro filters. I set it all up and ran a speed test wired into the router but it was still really slow (0.3 Mb/s down and up).
Downstream/upstream
SNR Margin 25.0/21.0 db
Line attenuation 47.5/25.0 db
Data rate 1248/448 kbps
Max rate 1152/1036 kbps
CRC 3/0
I'm not sure if it is a problem in the house or the line outside, is phoning the ISP the only thing she can do?
0
Comments
-
Was it fast before ?I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.0
-
You can eliminate the house wiring by doing a clean socket test, look here
If the problem persists on this then then it's a line fault.
Ensure that you have a filter in place between the socket and your router. Usually the router lead has small 4-pin RJ11 connectors at each end so the filter is needed for connectivity.
Dave0 -
-
I know that is my old thread but I wanted to make a new one since things have changed like the router and last time I thought the ISP was talktalk but it is acutally AOL. I'll have a read through it though.
The internet used to be a lot faster I'm not sure exactly when it went slow because I don't live here.0 -
You can eliminate the house wiring by doing a clean socket test, look here
If the problem persists on this then then it's a line fault.
Ensure that you have a filter in place between the socket and your router. Usually the router lead has small 4-pin RJ11 connectors at each end so the filter is needed for connectivity.
Dave
Yes I have a filter between the router and phone socket. If I do a clean socket test and it is still slow does that mean I need to contact ISP? And must it be left for 3 days?0 -
Have you got the right router settings for AOL or have you set them for talk talk?0
-
I've set them for AOL had to phone up to get them0
-
The high SNR is what is limiting the sync speed. 47.5dB attenuation should be good for 5meg on a standard ADSL connection. http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
Call up AOL and ask them to reset your SNR profile. (Standard for most providers is 6dB - AOL might use 9dB. Anything is better than 21+dB).0 -
hemophobic wrote: »I've set them for AOL had to phone up to get them
AOL gave me the wrong settings. Their CS is hopeless.0 -
The high SNR is what is limiting the sync speed. 47.5dB attenuation should be good for 5meg on a standard ADSL connection. http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
Call up AOL and ask them to reset your SNR profile. (Standard for most providers is 6dB - AOL might use 9dB. Anything is better than 21+dB).AOL gave me the wrong settings. Their CS is hopeless.
If you don't want to phone you can register on the talktalk forum (yes they deal with AOL customers too) to get your problem investigated/resolved.
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards