We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Itunes update and now itunes doesn't work!
jenniewb
Posts: 12,847
Forumite
in Techie Stuff
I just updated itunes following a prompt.
Now itunes wont load! I can view my library, I can even view my ipod and sync. But I cannot view itunes.
I have tried restaring, I've tried everything I can think and as to trying to email apple: so slow! Their pages are so crazily slow that its taken me about 2 hours just to get up the page which reads "contact us".
I'm due to get a new computer next week (this is when it's due to be delivered anyway) so it's not life and death but I would like to use itunes before next week if possible so any help or advice appreciated.
Now itunes wont load! I can view my library, I can even view my ipod and sync. But I cannot view itunes.
I have tried restaring, I've tried everything I can think and as to trying to email apple: so slow! Their pages are so crazily slow that its taken me about 2 hours just to get up the page which reads "contact us".
I'm due to get a new computer next week (this is when it's due to be delivered anyway) so it's not life and death but I would like to use itunes before next week if possible so any help or advice appreciated.
0
Comments
-
I have tried restaring, I've tried everything I can think
What exactly is everything you can think of?
Your best bet is probably to uninstall iTunes completely and get a fresh installation of it. You won't lose any data since iTunes keeps its library file somewhere in your Documents folder. You can find it and copy it as a backup if you like.
What operating system are you using? That is, Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac etc?0 -
Everything I can think of is (so far)
Restating the computer, then plugging in ipod to start up itunes = FAIL
Restarting the computer and starting up itunes WITHOUT the ipod = FAIL (though did respond to my asking for the library sooner: less then 5 minutes that time!)
I took off my spyware tool (it slows things down and I wondered if it was conflicting) = FAIL (no difference).
Trying to find information of others in the same situation on google = FAIL can't seem to get any apple related page to work, and many forum pages for other sites Google threw at me also didn't work. I can get some internet pages just as normal so I'm assuming the issue isn't mine.
Running a Malwarebytes scan = Nothing detected = FAIL
Not sure what else to try.0 -
Oh- and I'm currently using Vista on a Desktop.
Virus protection is the one which comes free with Windows/Microsoft and I've not had any issues with it in the few years I've had it. Can't help thinking itunes is the fault and not me-despite the many faults of my current computer.
(Apologies of I don't reply for a few hours, I've just had some unexpected company arrive!)0 -
It's not the first time I've heard of iTunes failing after an update - so you're right, it's probably not you! Generally, Apple produce a new update a few days later to correct the fault but not before they've caused some chaos.
As I said before, a re-installation is always a good bet.
You said it responded to your request to view the library. What exactly does it do? Any error messages?
Or perhaps more importantly: what does it not do? You said you can sync your iPod, but can you play music, view playlists etc?0 -
Do a System Restore back to before you updated it.No free lunch, and no free laptop
0 -
I have had this a couple of times when doing in program updates. Now i just download the new version complete from the website and just install over it. Never had that issue since I did that.0
-
Thanks for the replies.
I ran a CC cleaner before I shut down and then rescanned my virus protection, both seemed to have no issues but now everything is slow to start- not just itunes!
I can now get up itunes, seem to have been able to bypass re-installing but wow its so. slow.! But then so is internet explorer. Google-chrome seems a little faster but only if I sit and watch each page to load, if not then it just wont open- I get an error message saying I have no internet access- (but I do have internet access).
For example, I tried to get up this thread so I could reply, its reading 2:51am on my computer, I began trying to get this page up at 1am. It has taken that long- and many times failed inbetween! Chrome for some reason didn't like me searching via google, it wouldn't load but eventually I.E worked (IE8) the difference is, although it takes ten times as long, the page will load in the background without me having to sit watching it.0 -
Here's hoping things improve with the next model! Just hope this computer isn't too broken to give away to my old dad!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards