We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
windows update failure
billycasper_2
Posts: 348
Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Hi everyone. I have a little problem with windows update. When the automatic update finds new updates they appear to install but crucially when the computer is restarted they fail to take effect. the process fails and the computer reverts back to its previous state. . the windows update log says failed update against all but windows defender updates..
I did use microsoft fixit. which not very helpfully told me
"windows update data locations have changed - checked"..
there was no option to fix...
I then tried to run a scan via command prompt in admin but despite using
sfc /scannow in every conceivable way (capitals etc) I get the error message.
"sfc not recognised as an external or internal command"
any ideas on where to go are what to do would be much appreciated.
I am running vista (sp2) home edition
I did use microsoft fixit. which not very helpfully told me
"windows update data locations have changed - checked"..
there was no option to fix...
I then tried to run a scan via command prompt in admin but despite using
sfc /scannow in every conceivable way (capitals etc) I get the error message.
"sfc not recognised as an external or internal command"
any ideas on where to go are what to do would be much appreciated.
I am running vista (sp2) home edition
0
Comments
-
Try creating a new user account and then do a windows update. If all is well it could be a corrupted profile (user account) or something. If you know what the KB numbers of the window updates are you could manually download them from the ms website. If they go through, hopefully they will also clear any blockage. You could also do a system restore.0
-
Your syntax for sfc is correct. However, it is possible that the utility was not included in Vista Home Premium. From what I read on a Microsoft article, it implied the utility was included with Vista Pro and Ultimate and all 7 and 8. That could at least answer one mystery!
If it does exist though, you'll need to find it yourself since command prompt can't. You could try using the search box on your start menu. Type sfc and it should find sfc.exe - if it exists!
Have you had any hardware faults or viruses lately?0 -
Sfc does exist in Vista Home because I've run it.
Try running in safemode.0 -
Thank you for the replies. will attempt to try all of your suggestions and let you know..
oh. no viruses lately . everything else running just fine.. i may run a hijack scan just in case0 -
Do you use a Registry cleaner? The only time I've had trouble with Windows Updates failing, it was due to over-zealous manual cleaning of the Registry. Only happened once, lesson learned.Error! - Keyboard not attached. Press any key to continue.0
-
mmm that doesnt sound good.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards