We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fibre To The Cabinet.. FTTC

Does FTTC increase ADSL speeds ?
I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
«1

Comments

  • 2482913813.png

    Just had it installed and was lucky to get 5 Mb download on ADSL.
    I now get about 70 Mb on average.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,829
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hope the same happens for us....FTTC is supposed to be up & running 31/03/2013.
    BT Openreach have put a big new cabinet up in the last few weeks so heres hoping !!
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    mervyn11 wrote: »
    Hope the same happens for us....FTTC is supposed to be up & running 31/03/2013.
    BT Openreach have put a big new cabinet up in the last few weeks so heres hoping !!

    Wouldn't hold your breath where I am they keep putting date back.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,125
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Yes it should do as only main factor that would slow a service down is the distance between you and the cabinet rather than at present to the exchange and or the ISP

    Before I used adsl2 using LLU and I got around 12-13mb/s

    adsl 2 LLU

    1193956100.png


    FTTC

    2471490446.png
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,829
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ukcarper wrote: »
    Wouldn't hold your breath where I am they keep putting date back.

    They have been huddled up in the new cabinet for weeks now so I presume it must be about to go ahead.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,829
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    savemoney wrote: »
    Yes it should do as only main factor that would slow a service down is the distance between you and the cabinet rather than at present to the exchange and or the ISP

    Before I used adsl2 using LLU and I got around 12-13mb/s

    adsl 2 LLU

    1193956100.png


    FTTC

    2471490446.png

    Blimey.......rocket fuelled !!!
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,125
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    I paid before 4th Jan £29 for adsl unlimited now pay £9.99 for 6 months then its £19.99 after that.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    You WILL notice a big difference with streaming, online games and downloads.

    You WON'T notice much difference with web page loading times (unless you are changing from a VERY slow connection).
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Guardsman
    Guardsman Posts: 992
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I know there is a massive increase in the more expensive fibre optic broadband package. I was wondering if it had any effect on the existing ADSL speeds.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    The presence of FTTC has no effect at all on your existing ADSL service other than the remote chance it may slow down because the backhaul from the exchange could have higher utilisation if FTTC users start consuming more bandwidth.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.