We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

A laptop for a friend

Hi guys a friend asked my opinion of a laptop they found on eBay , used, at the price of £205 I felt it is a bit high given that there won't be option to return, and no warranty.
specs are
2.1 Ghz Core Two Duo, 2GB , 150 GB HDD 14.1" Screen, Win 7 Pro.
Could anyone give me(us) their thoughts and any ideas for 14" at about a similar price. Many thanks
4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
«1

Comments

  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It does seem like quite a lot. Compare it with some of these laptops from Dell Outlet. They are also used, but have been refurbished and come with a warranty, although the prices are in general slightly higher than the price you mentioned.

    Note that the list is frequently changing as existing ones are purchased and new ones are added.
    http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=7&c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Why 14" in particular? A 14" screen from yesteryear may not be the same size as a 14" screen from today.
  • Why 14" in particular? A 14" screen from yesteryear may not be the same size as a 14" screen from today.
    No idea at the mo , I am in the pub and the friend is not with me , but I think that was perhaps a question of the one they looked at on eBay, I will get back to you on that. I also suggested they look on the ebay argos site for refurbs (found one of your posts back from December linking to some on there)
    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
  • No idea at the mo , I am in the pub and the friend is not with me , but I think that was perhaps a question of the one they looked at on eBay, I will get back to you on that. I also suggested they look on the ebay argos site for refurbs (found one of your posts back from December linking to some on there)

    - in the pub .. .. yer turncoat
    - it'd berra be a Newkie owse - or else
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • - in the pub .. .. yer turncoat
    - it'd berra be a Newkie owse - or else
    Been back home for 4 hours now you wuss, how's it going Richie? I see from your avatar you are still struggling with photoshop , if you use a smaller font you can fit the rest in after AtoS ... SeR :beer:

    image.php?u=924223&dateline=1353020538
    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Been back home for 4 hours now you wuss, how's it going Richie? I see from your avatar you are still struggling with photoshop , if you use a smaller font you can fit the rest in after AtoS ... SeR :beer:

    image.php?u=924223&dateline=1353020538

    - did you see the reply before I zapped it ?
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • - did you see the reply before I zapped it ?
    Briefly but my I thought my eyes were playing tricks, Aspalls Syndrome again.....
    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Briefly but my I thought my eyes were playing tricks, Aspalls Syndrome again.....

    - no idea how the heck you drink it - do you have to dilute with water ?
    C2EStIs.jpg
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,371
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It seems too expensive.
    You can find laptop at £240 Why bother second hand?
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_X401A-WX089V_1234097.html
  • Cisco001 wrote: »
    It seems too expensive.
    You can find laptop at £240 Why bother second hand?
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_X401A-WX089V_1234097.html
    That would be my opinion too, either refurb or new, thanks for the link have passed it on
    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.