IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Lost parking ticket

Options
Today I stupidly let my car park ticket blow away in the wind. I thought it was a receipt at tried to catch it but alas the wind was quicker that me. I buzzed the man on the car park control who said yea I will give you another one for £10. Parking for 3 hours is 80p so I really needed that ticket.
I went to see the man and told him I only been there 3 hours at the most, He was nice but said I had to pay £10 and he didn't make the rules.
I didn't have any cash and didn't want to pay so he took my name and address and car reg and said he would send me the bill. He said they could see me on cctv. I said if he could see me on cctv then he would see I owed 80p but he was having none of it.
He gave me the phone number of his company but I think they will just tell me I have to pay.
My question is do I have to pay? I didn't sign anything and didnt agree to pay

Thanks

Comments

• Sir_Roger_deLodger
    Sir_Roger_deLodger Posts: 992 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2013 at 11:58PM
    Options
    Does "the man" work for a council or a private company?
  • ekkygirl
    ekkygirl Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Does "the man" work for a council or a private company?

lol private company
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This one is a bit trickier.

If there is genuinely a CCTV picture of you approaching the guy, talking and then him allowing you to leave, as well as him having your name and address that you gave him (did you write it or did he?), then, some verbal contract must have happened between you and him for him to allow you to take your car out of the car park.

Now I don't know how the abolition of clamping/ impounding vehicles would reflect on the company if you had refused to pay the £10 - I think there is something about car parks with barriers that do not fall under the obstruction part of the legislation, but someone will clarify that.

But, unlike other cases on here that deal with non-display, loss or overstaying, it is the second verbal contract with the attendant where you gave him your address that this will hinge on. Did you agree to pay the £10 as you didn't have the cash or did you say that you disputed the charge, and that you were being held in the car park against your will?

I suspect it was the former and if it was, then I would be less surprised to see them pursue the £10 (although it is a pretty small amount) and, unfortunately they would have a much better case than normal.

But I am not suggesting you should pay at this stage.
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wait for the bill. But as you said if he can see the CCTV of the "agreement", then there is CCTV of you paying your 80p.

Personally, I'd wait for the bill, then ask to see the evidence (ie CCTV) This could be fun!
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure