Undisclosed car claim

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
5 replies 891 views
scrumpyjaxscrumpyjax Forumite
114 Posts
Ninth Anniversary
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I had a letter today from my current car insurer saying they have been notified of an undisclosed claim dated april 2010, and as a result my insurance premium is being raised by 25%:eek::eek: with immediate effect.
I have never been involved in an accident or any sort of claim action. and as I switch insurers regularly I can't even remember who I was insured with at that time.Numerous calls to my current insurer and the previous one have proved useless.I'm now in the process of getting bank statement copies to check d/d payees.
Any ideas about what else I can do please?:D

Replies

• InsideInsuranceInsideInsurance Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can request a copy of the data held on CUE which is almost certainly where they got their information from http://www.insurancedatabases.co.uk/default.aspx#dataprotection

Ultimately however you should challenge your current insurers stating that they are wrong. They should provide you with what they have found for you to validate or challenge.
  • scrumpyjaxscrumpyjax Forumite
    114 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    You can request a copy of the data held on CUE which is almost certainly where they got their information from http://www.insurancedatabases.co.uk/default.aspx#dataprotection

Ultimately however you should challenge your current insurers stating that they are wrong. They should provide you with what they have found for you to validate or challenge.

Thanks for that :D. I have managed to find my insurer for that period which was the post office and they confirmed that there were no claims for that period. They are also sending me a letter to that effect.
    Even better though :). I rang my current insurer with my good news and got a different service rep who actually phoned the Post Office insurers while I waited and got it confirmed over the phone. They are now going to issue me with a new welcome pack and adjust my payments.....Result :T
    My worry now is why CUE saw fit to flag a false claim...after nearly 3 yrs?:(
  • InsideInsuranceInsideInsurance Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all insures search CUE and even those that do dont all do it at new business stage (some only do it when you have your first claim for example).

It could of cause be a false positive match or it could be a clerical error at your new insurers.

To ensure no problems in the future it would be sensible to still get a copy of what CUE hold to make sure there isnt erroneous info there
  • scrumpyjaxscrumpyjax Forumite
    114 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    Not all insures search CUE and even those that do dont all do it at new business stage (some only do it when you have your first claim for example).

It could of cause be a false positive match or it could be a clerical error at your new insurers.

To ensure no problems in the future it would be sensible to still get a copy of what CUE hold to make sure there isnt erroneous info there

Yes that's a good idea,I don't want to be paying over the top in the future because of phantom claims.
    Thanks again.
  • vaiovaio Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    but rather than paying for the cue record I'd be getting the current insurer to tell me where they got the claim info from
    Dangermac wrote: »
    I agree with you......

DM
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up