PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice please about house offers

Me and other half are FTBs and we've recently put an offer in on a property. Well we've put 2 in actually but both have been rejected and we have been told by EA that the vendor won't accept less than £135k (it's on the market at £140k).

We told EA that we're not upping the offer but me and OH have now agreed that at a push we will pay £135k as we really like the property. However, upon being told that we weren't upping the offer the EA tells me that more viewing are arranged for the property.

How do we proceed from here bearing in mind that we do not want to get in to a bidding war? Do we wait until after the viewings have taken place and then ask the EA if there is any interest, and then put in an offer?

Or do we just put in another offer anyway, regardless of the viewings?

Many thanks

Comments

• bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could be EA's bluff. His job is to get the max for the vendor who pays him.
    Tell them you will leave the present offer open for a week or so. See if they come back.
    Only ever offer what you think it's worth, there are plenty of houses on the market.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've heard the 'more viewings are lined up for whatever day' line so many times by EAs. So what. Doesn't mean they'll offer. Actually, I'm getting fed up with them using that as a threat. Been trying to actually buy a bloody house for over a month and the EAs are tring to scare me into making a higher offer by not actually letting me view again, and telling me there's a lot of interest on it now and that sooner or later, I won't be able to afford a property in that area as the prices are going up.

I hope to God I find something elsewhere so I can tell them I'm no longer interested...

Just go with what you think it's worth. Be prepared to walk away, but don't end up bidding against yourself/Mr Nobody!

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • The annoying thing is the EA actually recommended we offer the 2nd amount (which we would have done anyway) so we thought it was going to get accepted. Only to be told that it's been rejected and the vendor won't settle for less than £135k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure