PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

In my area, it's more expensive to build than it is to buy but....

Options
It should be! My question is, how much more expensive should it be? I know that, in the past, you could build a lot cheaper but, at the end of the day, a new-build will always require less maintenance throughout the expected life of the house and will also cost less from a heating perspective.

With this in mind, how much more expensive do you feel a new-build project can go before it becomes more sensible from a purely financial perspective to just buy a house that was build 2-3 decades ago?

As an example, in a pretty prestigious location near where I live, a 2000 square foot detached house is available for around £280,000. There is also a site with the existing house demolished on the market for £150,000.

From my research, I see that about £85 per square foot is a reasonable estimate for building and fitting out costs: including a 10% reserve for unexpected expenses. This would result in a new-build 2000 square foot house costing £170,000.

With this in mind, the new build would cost £40,000 more than the existing house, which is about 20 years old.

However, the new-build would have the latest heating system installed and conform to, and probably exceed, current building regulation standards with regards to efficiency. I would expect this to result in running costs that are somewhere in the region of £600 per year less than the older house.

I’d also expect maintenance costs to be a lot less – let’s assume a reasonably conservative figure of £600 per year cheaper.

As a 5-year fixed interest mortgage is available at below 3% at the moment, this £1,200 in savings would cover the interest on the additional mortgage of £40,000.

The house itself should always be more valuable than the older house – expecially as fuel costs continue to rise.

For this reason, I find myself asking, is it a simple, clean-cut fact that it makes more sense to buy than build or should a lot more consideration be given to the two options?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure