Change to main driver on car insurance

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
10 replies 19K views
Godiva500Godiva500 Forumite
438 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Our car insurance is in my name with my husband as named driver. It has been like this for over 12 years, with me having a full no claims bounus. We would like to change to my husband being the main driver, as he does the driving now, and i would like to give up driving. What would this mean for the no claims bonus - would he have to start again?

Replies

• QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be cheaper for you to continue as the policyholder and remain a named driver with your husband the main driver.(Even though in fact you won't ever drive).

Otherwise see if your chosen insurer will allow you to pass over your ncd to your husband.

If that isn't straightforward then a local broker (not swinton) should be able to arrange this.

He doesn't want to start at zero if it can be avoided!
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quentin wrote: »
    It might be cheaper for you to continue as the policyholder and remain a named driver with your husband the main driver.(Even though in fact you won't ever drive).

Otherwise see if your chosen insurer will allow you to pass over your ncd to your husband.

If that isn't straightforward then a local broker (not swinton) should be able to arrange this.

He doesn't want to start at zero if it can be avoided!
    I disagree! This could be construed as fronting.
    He may have to start at 0% no claims unless the current insurer agree to transfer the discount.
  • bouncydog1bouncydog1 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is not fronting. Fronting is when the true facts are not disclosed to the insurer in an attempt to secure insurance at a lower cost than would normally be paid for the fronted risk.

Provided the policyholder makes full disclosure to the insurer and the insurer agrees to accept the risk based on that disclosure then there will not be an issue.

OP - where there is a husband/wife relationship many insurers will agree to the transfer of bonus. In fact my late mum in laws insurers transferred the bonus to her partner of 30 years when she passed away so insurers will use discretion.
  • I agree, this is not fronting, you are being totally honest with the insurer and I cannot see any problems.

Last year we changed our car insurance company with wife as the insured person, myself as named driver and have been for twenty odd years, we also added our eighteen year old daughter as a named driver for the first time.
    When it came to renewal the company informed us that our daughter had also received one years no claims bonus even as a named driver.

My daughter has now got her own car and insurance and was able to carry the NCB to a new company.

Always ask a car insurer if all named drivers qualify for NCB in the event of a claim free year, it seems more of them are doing this
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree! This could be construed as fronting.
    He may have to start at 0% no claims unless the current insurer agree to transfer the discount.

Which bit do you disagree with?

The main driver will be declared. ie The husband.

(Fronting is when an experienced driver pretends to be the main driver when in fact another is actually the main driver.)

OP - ignore this suggestion you would be "fronting"!
  • BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your existing insurer may well be minded to provide hubby with an introductory NCD in his own name, due to his accident free record - ask!
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So main policyholder will never drive again and named driver is now main and only driver and you think insurance company will be OK with this?

Get real folks.
    If OP declares what is happening I will be amazed if they don't say that second named driver needs to have a policy in his own name and if he has to start with 0% NCD so be it.
  • So main policyholder will never drive again and named driver is now main and only driver and you think insurance company will be OK with this?

Get real folks.
    If OP declares what is happening I will be amazed if they don't say that second named driver needs to have a policy in his own name and if he has to start with 0% NCD so be it.

Incorrect. Ncb is transferable from spouse to spouse in circumstances such as this. If the op is giving up driving for good her current company should be able to sort this no problem.
  • Godiva500Godiva500 Forumite
    438 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I phoned my IC today. They have made my husband the main driver with me as second driver - cost £25.25p!
    Anyway they said I would get my renewal docs in April. and look to changing the whole thing over to my husband then. So so far so good.
  • SuperHanSuperHan Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't take yourself off as a named driver - it will normally drop the price of the insurance for your husband, and if there was ever an emergency where he couldn't drive, you don't want to have to faff about getting yourself added temporarily. Provided it's no more expensive (best to check!), it's worth keeping yourself named :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals