We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What to plant in boxes? Advice please

Have never posted on this forum (the gardening one) but am sure somebody on MSE can advice as usual...
oH is making some wooden boxes for the back garden. They will be about 1.4m long and 0.5 m wide. I will need to put some long lasting and easy maintenance plants in them (am not so green fingered). Any advice? Not too expensive please, everything is done on a budget!:) also where is best to buy?
Thank you in advance
A friend is a present which you give yourself (R.Stevenson)
Happiness seems made to be shared (Jean Racine)

Comments

• Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    I think we're going to need a bit more info.
    What sort of plants do you want - evergreens, colour? How tall do you want them to grow? Will the boxes be in sun or shade, against a wall or in the middle of a space? How deep will the soil in the boxes be?

The more info you can give the more ideas people should, hopefully, be able to come up with.
  • thanks for your answer..sorry didn't think of all those questions!
    I would like a mixture of green and colours if possible and the planters will mainly be in the sun in the morning..they will be at the end of the grass areas so in the middle of a space. And the box will be about 50cm deep. I don't want plants to grow too tall but mixture will be good...having just seen the almost finish product of one of the planter...they are big! I'm going to need a lot of soil!...
    A friend is a present which you give yourself (R.Stevenson)
    Happiness seems made to be shared (Jean Racine)
  • Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    Thanks.

There are a couple of sites which may help
    http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=350

&

http://www.vanmeuwen.com/low-maintenance-gardening

They both list suitable plants.

If you want a mix I'd start with choosing the architectural plants which will form the year round skeleton. Things like dwarf conifers (make sure they are dwarf!) or other small evergreen shrubs. These will be your most expensive buys but should last for years.
    Then it's really a case of what you fancy.
    Things like bulbs are always good to add to planters as they only need splitting every few years & can give year round colour.
  • elisaves
    elisaves Posts: 19 Forumite
    they are quite big, suitable for any vegetable really... try some not only flowers I would say :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure