Forced into Prepare/Enrich Marriage Preparation

Options
2»

Comments

• Thriftygifty
    Options
    ognum wrote: »
    Why do you want to get married in church, I assume its because you believe in the values and beliefs so why are you refusing the help of the person who leads the church you want to marry in?

I can't believe in the big scheme of the cost of a wedding that £25 is such a big deal. maybe spend £25 less on the Hen night!

Thats abit harsh. Weddings are expensive and if like us you are counting every single penny £25 is still alot of money to some. I am not having a hen night and I wouldnt be happy about paying an additional £25 that I wasnt told about from the start. Wedding just seem to add abit on here and bit on there until you are left with a few £100 more than you budgeted for. But I dont know the OPs circumstances but am willing to give them the benifit of doubt.

We are getting married in a church. Yes because it is pretty and ALSO because we believe in the value and God overseeing our marriage and blessing it. However I am not looking forward to the prep that OP mentioned as I dont think being told how to have a marriage is something for us it should be optional, we are old enough and responsible enough and have thought things through long and hard without someone telling us how to live. I choose to have a church wedding because I want God there and to be part of our wedding and marriage not to be told how to.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am not a believer but do think that those who choose to marry in church should be prepared to follow the needs of the religion they have chosen to be married into.

My son and his wife had been living together for 8 years prior to their church wedding, they undertook the preparation classes with two other coup,EAs and said they were surprised at how insightful and thought prevoking they were so I guess we can all learn!
  • Thriftygifty
    Options
    ognum wrote: »
    I am not a believer but do think that those who choose to marry in church should be prepared to follow the needs of the religion they have chosen to be married into.

My son and his wife had been living together for 8 years prior to their church wedding, they undertook the preparation classes with two other coup,EAs and said they were surprised at how insightful and thought prevoking they were so I guess we can all learn!

I agree aswell :). But do think that it should be optional. Will see how ours go an report back!
  • Scotsbride
    Options
    I know it something that happens at a catholic wedding like OPs have said could it be because so many people opt for church weddings and aren't religious or church goers. perhaps this is just the church's way of see that you are serious and you truely respect their values. I also think it should be optional.
    :kisses3: Married 29th September 2012:love:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport