Estate Administration Services - recommendations

Options
My family have recently suffered a loss and have to deal with the estate. The nominated executor is unable to help and therefore they have decided to use a professionally service. The nominee recommended the Coop but as I have no experience I of this I was wondering if people think this is a good plan?

I know this is the "Money Saving" website and I'm sure it would be cheaper to do it ourselves but family politics do not allow it.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Shop around to get quotes from a few "step" solicitors as well as other services.

What sort of issues prevent a benfitiary taking over?

Ultimately it is the residual benifitiaries that foot the bill.
  • madbadrob
    madbadrob Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you shop around you can use the figures to play one off against another. Try and get solicitors to do it for a fixed fee. Is there any money to a charity in the will because they will normally administer the will for free if there is

Rob
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would any of the residuary beneficiairies be prepared to adminster the estate (with will)?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Family politics mean it would not be wise for someone in the family to administer the estate - it would only lead to arguments.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In that sort of circumstance go for the 'good' solicitor, not necessarily the cheapest one. And only local sources will tell you who is good or not
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bradden wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Family politics mean it would not be wise for someone in the family to administer the estate - it would only lead to arguments.
    Solicitors seem to make a meal of an estate and taking their best shot at absorbing it all in fees. If they get wind of the beneficiaries being potentially at loggerheads, they will not go out of their way to prevent it. This will leave the family arguing with each other while the solicitor runs away with the largest part of the estate.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    How many residual benificiaries are there
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts