roger read

Richie-from-the-Boro
Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 29 January 2013 at 3:13PM in Disability money matters
From October 2015
All the remaining claimants in receipt of a DLA award will be invited to make a claim for PIP. We will randomly select those recipients of DLA in receipt of an indefinite award or a fixed term award,and notify them about what they need to do to claim PIP. We will invite claims as early as possible from recipients who have turned 65 after 8 April 2013, when PIP was first introduced.

From June 2013

In addition to the area covered by the controlled start new claims to PIP will be taken in all remaining areas of GB. We will no longer accept new claims for DLA from anyone aged 16-64, unless they are making a renewal claim from a fixed term DLA award which is due to expire before the end of February 2014. These claimants will re-claim DLA, and where entitlement continues will be invited to claim PIP at a later stage.

Predicted caseloads & outcome modelling to October 2018.
_________

- Table 2 shows the total number of DLA cases that will be reassessed for PIP by October 2015 and the likely outcomes for these reassessed cases
- Table 6 shows the total number of DLA cases that will be reassessed for PIP and the likely outcomes for these reassessed cases
- Table 1c provides information on forecast annual caseloads for DLA and PIP. Quarterly caseload forecasts are not available
Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    As I understand it, it would take legislative changes to enable requiring someone who has turned 65 after the qualifying date to claim PIP.
    Of course, if this bunch do manage to get back in - pensioners with DLA awards are a _HUGE_ slice of the budget, and some of these people will either have improved due to inadequate understanding of their qualifying condition leading to not reporting an improvement, or not qualify for PIP at a similar rate.

However.

Note table 5, for confirmation.
    This gives the 16-64 caseload in 2015 as 2.1 million without the introduction of PIP.
    Now, sum the 'reassessments' in table 1 out till they stop in Dec 17 - 1751.
    It seems reasonable that 10% of claimants will improve during this period, so the two numbers sort of match.
    Another source gives total caseload as of may 2011 as 3.2M.
    It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that 1M or so of these are the over 65s.

Clearly, this reassessment table does not include the over 65s (or indeed under 16s)
  • Agreed roger but as is always the case anything they say will be based on current policy and assessment criteria and we know how quickly that can change particularly with the new-crew Esther.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I still can't find out what the situation would be for women in receipt of DLA who are getting State Retirement Pension too. Therefore no longer of working age but under the age of 65.
  • Cpt.Scarlet
    Cpt.Scarlet Posts: 1,102
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    zaksmum wrote: »
    I still can't find out what the situation would be for women in receipt of DLA who are getting State Retirement Pension too. Therefore no longer of working age but under the age of 65.

People keep using the phrase "working age" but the reality is that it has nothing to do with it, the test is based on your age, if you are under 65 on 8 April 2013 you will be transferred.
  • rogerblack wrote: »
    As I understand it, it would take legislative changes to enable requiring someone who has turned 65 after the qualifying date to claim PIP.

Don't you actually mean those that were 65 or over as at the 8th April 2013?

Anyone else (excluding the under 16's) if they turned 65 on the 9th April 2013 or later WILL be required to undergo testing for PIP - in the early batches starting in 2015. If they refuse to be tested for PIP then they will lose not only their entire DLA award but also be precluded from claiming PIP at any time in the future. Those in that category have in effect a 'one time' chance only of continuing to receive recognition for mobility difficulties.

And as you have pointed out those in the 65 + group are the worst offenders when it comes to the % of the overall DLA budget that is paid out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure