»

Why do grown men ride on the pavement? - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Why do grown men ride on the pavement?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
129 replies 12.2K views

Replies

• liz545liz545 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Jblack wrote: »
    As an honest question to those who cycle, why do some insist on riding side-by-side when out together? Is it just so they can talk to each other?

Often, yes - it's nice to be able to talk to someone if you're cycling together, and while the highway code says you should not cycle more than two abreast, you don't have to stay in single file at all times.

A lot of cycling clubs will also stay in two-abreast formation as it can be safer than single file. If a car overtakes six cyclists riding two abreast, they will be able to complete the overtake in less time than overtaking if they were strung out in single file. HTH! :)
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • GloomendoomGloomendoom Forumite
    16.5K posts
    googler wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. If I had a pound for every "I HAVE to get past this cyclist" motorist that I've seen, I'd be much better off than I am at the moment...

I'm not a cyclist but this is one of my pet hates. Sometimes you just have to stop and wait until it is safe to pass.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
  • jblack_2jblack_2 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    liz545 wrote: »
    A lot of cycling clubs will also stay in two-abreast formation as it can be safer than single file. If a car overtakes six cyclists riding two abreast, they will be able to complete the overtake in less time than overtaking if they were strung out in single file. HTH! :)

!!!!!!, they should just stick to the pavement:D!
  • liz545liz545 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Jblack wrote: »
    !!!!!!, they should just stick to the pavement:D!

Then where would people park their cars? ;)
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • Cknocker wrote: »
    Blimey whats this? Cyclist apartheid?

You can't be real cyclist unless you have an expensive road bike?

They ride trails because that is what they are there for! I have access to 60 miles of trails from my house - so yes I ride on them! Just so you know I always thank dog walkers as well - well not those that just let their dogs chase after you and attack your ankles!

I ride a bike for fitness, I prefer to keep my time on the road to a minimum, purely due to how dangerous riding on the road is now due to impatient drivers! So I stick to the trails,and the road when between them, however I do not ride on pavements other than those designated for bikes as well.

P.S. what sort of dog is it? I don't consider it a real dog unless its over 12" high, anything else is closer to a rat!

He's a black lab. So deffo a real dog lol!
    Don't grow up. Its a trap!

Peace, love and labradors!
  • What law would that be about dogs on leads - one you have made up perhaps?

LOL Spacey is obviously one of those folk who can't be bothered to read thread post properly and so didn't notice I was talking about trails in the second part of my opening post. There's usually at least one person (usually more who do that) I used to post and point out what I'd said but mostly these days I can't be rsed to do that.
    Don't grow up. Its a trap!

Peace, love and labradors!
  • googlergoogler Forumite
    15.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you walk sideways on it as well? What does pavement convey about who is allowed on it.

Pavement doesn't convey anything particular, but can I refer you back to my earlier post, proposing that FOOTpath and sideWALK carry definite connotations about who and what is allowed there....
  • CknockerCknocker Forumite
    235 posts
    Honeydog wrote: »
    He's a black lab. So deffo a real dog lol!

I'll let you off that then.
  • RotorRotor Forumite
    1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    BRIDALway - open to cyclists and pedestrians

CARriageway - open to any road user

I like to follow the 'rule of three' but am struggling now.

Erm ;how about
    GREENlane - not very green after those idiots in 4x4s have been on em. (but I may have just kicked a wasps nest:wink:)
  • Why do people walk in the cycle paths on the pavements and get all funny when i ding my bell at them to move?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support