Why do grown men ride on the pavement?

Options

Comments

• chrisv24
    Options
    We have cycle lanes on the pavement where I live so we regularly have cyclists on the pavement rather than the roads. Sometimes, especially on busy national speed limit roads, its best for cyclists to go on the pavement.
  • jblack_2
    jblack_2 Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    Options
    There are bad cyclists and bad drivers. As a driver I see a lot more bad cyclists though.

I had a cyclist banging on the back of my van last week. We were stuck in traffic on a busy main road and crawling along. I heard him banging and shouting so put the handbrake on and got out. He was upset that I was too close to the kerb which meant he couldn't pass. I pointed out that he should be overtaking not undertaking. He didn't seem to get it:rotfl:.

Anyone using the roads should be following the Highway Code, simple as that. Many cyclists think they above it though.

IMHO all road users should be insured including cyclists. If a cyclist causes damage or an accident to a pedestrian or another road user it would make getting it sorted a lot easier.
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Where I live in London, the majority of people I see cycling on the pavement are in their late teens/early twenties, hoody-wearing males. They don't seem like they'd describe themselves as cyclists, more just that they ride a bike until they get a car, so they're not as likely to invest in cycling gear or think much about cycling safely. They don’t want to be on the road, and it’s unlikely that they’re going to pay too much attention to advice directed at ‘cyclists’ as that’s not how they see themselves.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My FIL lives in suburban Notts, and cycles occasionally, mostly on the pavement. The roads near him are mostly country lanes, or fast dual carriageways with wide pavements. He’s in his sixties, and told me that while he likes to ride his bike, since he can’t keep pace with the traffic he rides on the pavement so as not to ‘hold anyone up’, riding slowly and carefully when there are pedestrians around. Given dedicated bike lanes, he’d probably use them, but until that point his options are either don’t ride, use the pavement, or ride faster and more assertively, which is unlikely at his age.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I don’t think it’s right that people ride on the pavement, but I can understand why it happens when we’ve provided space for cars, and space for pedestrians, but not much space for bikes, especially if you’re slower or less confident. [/FONT]
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jblack wrote: »
    There are bad cyclists and bad drivers. As a driver I see a lot more bad cyclists though.

As a cyclist I see a lot more bad drivers than cyclists, and there are a lot more cars out there than bikes!!!!!!

elmer x
  • ladylouise62
    Options
    A lot of the time I have no problem with cyclists on the pavement because the roads are damned dangerous, BUT I object to the way that they so rarely seem to slow down because they must feel that they have the right of way, and do not have bike bells (as as kid I always used that to warn people). But around my way the road is a bus route but with access only to the cars so it's not busy and there is no reason for them to use the pavement. If they have no lights then they should not be out, it's not an excuse to use the pavement. I have almost been knocked over 3 times and that was on a very busy no-cycling pedestrianised area.
  • Honeydog
    Honeydog Posts: 877 Forumite
    Options
    Some interesting replies thanks folks.

On the safety note the village has a 30 limit with enough roundabouts and bends etc to ensure that car speeds aren't much above that so safety really isn't an issue. But maybe the pavement riders are all rather nervous types? To be honest the really dodgy bits of road locally don't have any pavement!

Not seen any female riders on the pavement so that's why I asked about blokes.

Interestingly enough but probably only to me! Blokes trail riding in twos will usually acknowledge the fact that I've put my dog on the lead for them but blokes on their own won't.

On the trail I always shout "THANK YOU" very loudly as the chap has just gone past. It won't have any effect on them of course but it amuses me.

Thanks again anyway especially to those who posted lengthy considered replies.
    Don't grow up. Its a trap!

Peace, love and labradors!
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    Thats where the pedestrians are on their mobiles so easier to snatch......
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Try cycling. It makes bad drivers more apparent.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    On the trail I always shout "THANK YOU" very loudly as the chap has just gone past. It won't have any effect on them of course but it amuses me.
    They don't speak to you because last time they met you you thanked them loudly just for cycling past. They think you're nuts.
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do grown men ride on the pavement?

Simple, because even grown men are hurt when a bus, van, wagon or car run into them on the road.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure