Facebook

Options
2»

Comments

• kirri97
    kirri97 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm new and I have to ask :P If you have 2 different accounts, with different emails and no friends in common, how does facebook know you are the same person?

Is it from logging on/off between the accounts, ip address etc or? :(
  • BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would have guessed from you IP address
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,900 Forumite
    Options
    Same name on both accounts/ same dob/ IP tracing etc.
    Also if you were announced as a winner on FB plenty of people search to see if they can find anything "wrong".
  • alsproject
    Options
    They probably identify you from the unique "fingerprint" of your computer:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/192648/browser_fingerprints.html
  • HurdyGurdy
    Options
    Hmmmm - I have two accounts too. One I use for Facebook games - I have literally hundreds of friends on there. I don't think I *know* any of them. I have a made up name on that account. I have started using this one for comping too. I really don't want to be spamming my real friends (only got about 30, in any case) from my own account.

I am actually quite concerned at having my gaming account shut down - not all that bothered about losing the L&Ss I have done on there, as I never win anything anyway!
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,900 Forumite
    Options
    HurdyGurdy wrote: »
    I have a made up name on that account. I have started using this one for comping too.

You will struggle to prove who you are if the name is fake, to say nothing of trying to cash any cheques you might win.
  • jaibaby
    jaibaby Posts: 4,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi i have two accounts, created it as i have no intention of spamming my friends or family's accounts, i wouldn't worry about it anyway because i am not, i know of others creating account specifically for comping.

Good luck trying to save one of your accounts if you are found to have two. More and more compers have lost their "comping" account because Facebook are clamping down. I have seen so many go in the last year. If comping on FB means so much to you, why not consider closing your personal profile down? I did for a while but then decided I'd had enough of the bitter and jealousy I seen everyday on the comping side so now just do the app comps. I still have compers as friends, but only those who I spoke to / met and get along with.

As soon as you win something on FB, and it can be anything, small or large, you'll get a group of jealous people searching high and low to "out" you as a cheat - one way would be if you had two profiles. Even if you have your personal profile as private - they'll report it (it is against FB rules to have two profiles) and when FB looks into the report - you'll lose the account.

Better to be safe - just have one account :)
    Thanks to all posters :A
  • pokerlicious
    Options
    I used to have two facebook accounts; one for comping and one for my family and friends. I heard all these horror stories about facebook accounts being deleted because it was against facebook rules to have two accounts, so I deleted my comping one just in case my other one got deleted for me.

I have now noticed that more and more competitions are facebook based and I tend to have more red crosses on MSE than green ticks because I don't want to spam my family and friends with competition entries.

Should I open up another facebook account and run the risk of getting both shut down, spam my family and friends or just carry on ignoring the facebook comps and run the risk of missing out an a really good prize?

I have split all my friends and family into different groups.
    I have some in friends, family, limited profile, favorites and comps.
    When i share i normally choose one of my groups. I find this is a good way to organise your facebook page and not to fill everyone's notifications up with all the shares. Hope this helps you
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jaibaby wrote: »
    Good luck trying to save one of your accounts if you are found to have two. More and more compers have lost their "comping" account because Facebook are clamping down. I have seen so many go in the last year. If comping on FB means so much to you, why not consider closing your personal profile down? I did for a while but then decided I'd had enough of the bitter and jealousy I seen everyday on the comping side so now just do the app comps. I still have compers as friends, but only those who I spoke to / met and get along with.

As soon as you win something on FB, and it can be anything, small or large, you'll get a group of jealous people searching high and low to "out" you as a cheat - one way would be if you had two profiles. Even if you have your personal profile as private - they'll report it (it is against FB rules to have two profiles) and when FB looks into the report - you'll lose the account.

Better to be safe - just have one account :)

There are about 12 or so FB profiles of people who have the same name as me; say I was to win something BIG, how would they (the jealous other compers) know which other account was mine, no friends or photos are linked.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • jaibaby
    jaibaby Posts: 4,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are about 12 or so FB profiles of people who have the same name as me; say I was to win something BIG, how would they (the jealous other compers) know which other account was mine, no friends or photos are linked.

They would try and find something in common hun - even if they like the same pages as you. I'm just telling from past experience - the witch hunters on facebook can be so so wrong sometimes and some people (mostly innocent) are picked out as having numerous accounts. It's down to what Facebook believe at the end of the day, and I don't hold much hope out there seeing as they shut an old account of mine because I had messaged some 30 year old bloke I didn't know asking him to stop contacting my little 14 year old sister :eek:

The safest bet is to have one profile - in your proper name - and either don't do the like & share comps or don't add friends & family :o
    Thanks to all posters :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport