credit card on household income

Options
Hi all!

My wife has no credit rating as she is new to the country. I'd like to improve this by getting a credit card for her. However, she doesn't have an income yet, but I earn and have a good credit rating.

Are there any credit builder credit cards that look for household income, and not just individual income?

Thanks.

Comments

• Th1984
    Th1984 Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    When we were repairing my wife's credit history after we got together we used a vanquis card paid in full by DD. All based on my income as my wife doesn't have one.

Starts at a low limit but after a year she was able to get a normal Santander card, then a 123 cashback card with a 3k limit, still with no income.
    Budgeting CC balance £0
    MBNA 0% [STRIKE]£1312.50[/STRIKE] £1212.50 1/12
    Nationwide Loan [strike]£19000[/strike] now £10114 27/51 £193.46 Overpaid
    Barclaycard 0% b.t. [STRIKE]£8966[/STRIKE] now £7928 4/30
    Hitachi capital - [STRIKE]£899[/STRIKE] 05/2013 Uncle - [STRIKE]£1145[/STRIKE] 03/2013 /Dad - [STRIKE]£3k[/STRIKE] 12/2012
    was £28,738 - now £19254 33% of the way there:j
  • warwicktiger
    warwicktiger Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Options
    Joint account??
    (You do not have to use it, could destroy your card. As you are married you are already liable for her debts anyway.
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Options
    Joint account??
    (You do not have to use it, could destroy your card. As you are married you are already liable for her debts anyway.

!!!!!! are you going on about....
  • guruchelles
    Options
    !!!!!! are you going on about....

This ^ ???
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    creation/ sygma brand and also m&s go on household income, put house wife down not unemployed though
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    American Express request household rather than individual income - I believe the lowest this can be is £20k. That would get you their cashback credit cards or any of their charge cards other than the platinum.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    Lazyloki wrote: »
    American Express request household rather than individual income - I believe the lowest this can be is £20k. That would get you their cashback credit cards or any of their charge cards other than the platinum.

She would probably get the gold charge card on that. Amex's charge cards are pretty easy to obtain. She'll just get a really low exposure limit for the first few months.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Only issue is how long shes been in the country
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • thestarwalker
    Options
    Thanks all. I think I will try again with an Aqua or Vanquis credit builder credit card for my wide. I was a bit concerned that they asked about Personal Income, but from the sounds of it they will consider the household income.

As for Joint Account, we do have one, but I would like to improve her credit rating further.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As for Joint Account, we do have one, but I would like to improve her credit rating further.
    Why not ask the joint (current?) account provider if she can have one with them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure