VOIP Lanline phones?

Just wondering if anyone is using a VOIP landline phone that they can use to make free calls out to other landlines?

I've not really investigated VOIP much previously but have heard of Skype.

I always thought the service was a way of getting zero cost calls by utilising your data connection over the internet but I believe Skype only works if the other person you're calling also has Skype and a computer?

At work I have a Cisco IP phone which is great, and just like a normal business phone, except it is connected to my desktop. I can make calls anywhere I wish and I believe that they all go through just one connection for the company over their network.

Is there anything like this available for home users yet where you don't notice any difference in quality from a regular phone to IP phone?

I know there was a minor bit of hype years ago about being able to use VOIP or Skype on a mobile/smartphone but that died a death when they tried to monetize it and charge you for something that should be free.

Are there any cordless IP phones available for home use that have speakerphone, caller ID, don't cost a lot to buy, but still good quality? Or will I have to wait a few more years yet?

Comments

• gavinp
    gavinp Posts: 469 Forumite
    We use Siemens S685 VoIP phones which are very good - support upto six VoIP providers which is useful:

http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/siemens/voip-phones/

We use Sipgate as one of the providers as they offer a free UK "proper" landline number which can be dialled from normal phones at the same rate as a BT line:

http://www.sipgate.co.uk/

My in-laws who live in Spain have a UK landline number using Sipgate and any calls between Sipgate phones are free.

Worth a look,

Thanks

Gavin
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can call Skype to landline, but it is not free- (unlike Skype to Skype) however it's still a cheaper option than most other methods.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • thefirs
    thefirs Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A low cost way to do this is to get something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unlocked-PAP2T-NA-SIP-VOIP-Phone-Adapter-2-Ports-RJ-45-Cable-from-London-/320913076956?pt=UK_Computing_MicrophonesPhones_RL&hash=item4ab7e8f2dc - just one random example - and plug in a spare analogue phone. Get a free sipgate landline number for which you can buy reasonably priced credit or a £6pm subscription, though the best use is sip-to-sip free calling.

The configuration is fairly straightforward following the sipgate instructions.
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 January 2013 at 10:08AM
    gavinp wrote: »
    We use Siemens S685 VoIP phones which are very good - support upto six VoIP providers which is useful:

http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/siemens/voip-phones/

We use Sipgate as one of the providers as they offer a free UK "proper" landline number which can be dialled from normal phones at the same rate as a BT line:

http://www.sipgate.co.uk/

My in-laws who live in Spain have a UK landline number using Sipgate and any calls between Sipgate phones are free.

Worth a look,

Thanks

Gavin
    The Siemens Gigaset VOIP phones are very good, I have a N300A and S810 which work very well.

Gigaset do have a service which is meant to be free between Gigaset users. However it's another IP system and not to a landline so it's not that much use.

Many VOIP services offer free UK calls for a certain time and then you pay and use your credit up. ATM I'm using VOIPGain which has been reliable but my main problem with it is that it won't allow number withholding. I haven't found a service which allows that without it being costly.

However, your probably better off using the discount call providers such as 1899 etc as they are cheaper overall IMO. The cost per min of the VOIP services is relatively high in comparison.
  • CockneyBrum
    CockneyBrum Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 January 2013 at 12:37PM
    We've been using an unlocked Linksys SPA210 bought brand new off eBay and a VoIPStunt account for years. Costs about £20 a year for ALL our geographic calls. You get "freedays" and there isn't even a connection charge.

I bought a normal, second hand DECT handset (this has a speakerphone, which you are asking for) for a tenner from a market which plugs into the Linksys to make the calls in a normal way. It doesn't have incoming calls, only outgoing. The call quality is superb. There's never been any Caller ID on our VoIP configuration (despite setting it up in the Linksys), our calls just show up as "International".

The Linksys can be very technical to set up initially, but once it's done you just leave it. There is plenty of help on the internet for setting one up for the UK number ranges (known as Dial Plans), such as getting it to call 0845 numbers etc.

This, combined with Primus for landline and O2 for broadband works out much much cheaper compared to BT in our experience.
    Next post follows in a moment ...
  • gavinp
    gavinp Posts: 469 Forumite
    thefirs wrote: »
    A low cost way to do this is to get something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unlocked-PAP2T-NA-SIP-VOIP-Phone-Adapter-2-Ports-RJ-45-Cable-from-London-/320913076956?pt=UK_Computing_MicrophonesPhones_RL&hash=item4ab7e8f2dc - just one random example - and plug in a spare analogue phone. Get a free sipgate landline number for which you can buy reasonably priced credit or a £6pm subscription, though the best use is sip-to-sip free calling.

The configuration is fairly straightforward following the sipgate instructions.

ATA adapters are useful and have their place but the Siemens VoIP phones have better call quality and are a lot more flexible. I used to have an unlocked PAP2 by the way.. ;)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=96064

We also use Cisco phones in work (same as OP) but they are biased towards having additional on-site equipment (CME/CUCM services) and having had the Siemens phones for a couple of years now, they work great in our home environment.

Obviously this is a money-saving site and ATAs are cheap and will work and the Siemens phones are relatively expensive but I would consider them a good investment personally if budget allows.

Thanks

Gavin
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Also using a Linksys PAP2T and SIPGATE.
    The Linksys has 2 phone ports so we have two extra phone numbers. :)
    My setup also works with faxes although there aren't so many these days.
  • Looking at this thread with intrest! Im going to down this route the only thing is there anyway round being able to dial 999?
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    FrankRizzo wrote: »
    is there anyway round being able to dial 999?
    It depends on the SIP provider. Some route 999, some don't.

The other thing you have to think about for 999 via VOIP is that it won't work in a power cut (your modem-router will be down = no phone) unless you have a UPS solution to keep the phone working. If you have a mobile phone, 999 isn't a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure