Armed forces redundancy pay off unsure what to do with the money?!

Hi, just looking for some advice, we have armed forces redundancy and will be off in June 2013 the amount is £40,000.

We have debts for £13,000 all in all excluding the mortgage. That's left us with £27.000. Soon as the debts are cleared all the bills and mortgage can go on my wage and I will have enough over not to skins myself. He is pretty much guaranteed a job after he leaves as a friend is the MD going security for good money well anyway, what to do with the £27,000? Stick it in a high interest saving account and leave it? Or is £27k is to low to gain interest that sticks out? Thank you :p
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together."
Proud Mummy to an amazing beautiful baby girl Scarlett 29.06.2011 my dreams came true when I met you :heart:
Thank you to those who post competitions - Good luck guys :beer:

Replies

• marlotmarlot Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Look on the savings boards for ideas.

Perhaps the virgin account. Perhaps put it into premium bonds (if you fancy taking a chance).
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    46.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    What rate is the mortgage?
  • 6.99% currently on tracker and last month paid £498. We have put it on the market and has a lot of interest. Downside is, it's an apartment where it's expensive just because it's in the middle of town center so hopefully we will rent until we get on our feet if we sell.
    Proud Mummy to an amazing beautiful baby girl Scarlett 29.06.2011 my dreams came true when I met you :heart:
  • 6.9% **** not 6.99% lol sorry half asleep :-(
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    46.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    OK once income is sorted I would keep a bit back(eg deposit on a rental) and then put most of it on the mortgage(asume no penalties) you will struggle to get 6.9% anywhere else

You get it back when sold and have time to thinkabout where you put your equity.

just be carefull not to get into debt again.

think about renting somewhere cheap and close to work to reduce costs.

(based on limited info so there may be other factors that say keep more in cash.)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals