No claims lost years to %

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
4 replies 585 views
kyotekyote Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
A few years back I had a NCD of 10 years, then changed insures to CIS, who unbeknownst to me calculated NCD to a maximum of 5 years and in %, so I immediately lost 5 years, harsh penalty for joining!! – was insured for 2 years (like a twit forgot to take out NCD protection) and in Feb 07 had a £600 claim (no occupants in either vehicles!!) was informed I would loose 2 years from NCD that would be ok from 10 years but disastrous from 5. Renewal premium has nearly doubled, and have 3 years NCD instead of 8, do have letter from 1st insurer stating 10 years but CIS say nothing they can do am stuck with 3 years. Will change insures but is there anyway I can get a new insurer to consider these circumstances and get some more years?.

Replies

• mackem1mackem1 Forumite
    15 Posts
    insurers class 5 years as maximum so even if you had 10 years then you would have still dropped back to 3 years NCD after a fault claim
  • iceicebabyiceicebaby Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    As above..............
    Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com! :j
  • mattymoomattymoo Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Kyote - were you with Esure before?
    They give a 75% NCD for 10 yrs. They allow 70% for 5 years and then 1% additional discount for years 6-10.
    Now the question is, after an accident do they take you back to 73% (8 yrs) or is there a catch?

Mackem and iceicebaby are correct about the rest of the market. Just seems like you have been spoilt so to speak by Esure.
  • shellyshelly Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter if you had 10 or 50 claim free years, most ins co's only use a maximum of 5 years. Only way you would have not lost any NCD was not to have been a twit (your words not mine :D ) and protected them.

Also I don't think a new insurer would consider your previous NCD as you have since had a claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals