No claims lost years to %

A few years back I had a NCD of 10 years, then changed insures to CIS, who unbeknownst to me calculated NCD to a maximum of 5 years and in %, so I immediately lost 5 years, harsh penalty for joining!! – was insured for 2 years (like a twit forgot to take out NCD protection) and in Feb 07 had a £600 claim (no occupants in either vehicles!!) was informed I would loose 2 years from NCD that would be ok from 10 years but disastrous from 5. Renewal premium has nearly doubled, and have 3 years NCD instead of 8, do have letter from 1st insurer stating 10 years but CIS say nothing they can do am stuck with 3 years. Will change insures but is there anyway I can get a new insurer to consider these circumstances and get some more years?.

Comments

• mackem1
    mackem1 Posts: 15 Forumite
    insurers class 5 years as maximum so even if you had 10 years then you would have still dropped back to 3 years NCD after a fault claim
  • iceicebaby
    iceicebaby Posts: 3,633
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As above..............
    Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com! :j
  • mattymoo
    mattymoo Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Kyote - were you with Esure before?
    They give a 75% NCD for 10 yrs. They allow 70% for 5 years and then 1% additional discount for years 6-10.
    Now the question is, after an accident do they take you back to 73% (8 yrs) or is there a catch?

Mackem and iceicebaby are correct about the rest of the market. Just seems like you have been spoilt so to speak by Esure.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Doesn't matter if you had 10 or 50 claim free years, most ins co's only use a maximum of 5 years. Only way you would have not lost any NCD was not to have been a twit (your words not mine :D ) and protected them.

Also I don't think a new insurer would consider your previous NCD as you have since had a claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure