Redundancy and Bonus situation

Hi all,

DH has been given notice of consultation of potential redundancy. The letter ends, we envisage the role will be redundant.

So I think it is just consultation to follow the legislation.

There is another potential role he can apply for but it is a 1/3 less salary. But if he applies for it he is very likely to be given it.

My question is he has a bonus, which is part of his contract that pays out in April.

He has been told he has met all the objectives required to get the bonus.

If he chooses redundancy over accepting the new job will he still be entitled to the bonus. Is there any legislation protecting this?

The bonus will be more than a redundancy payment.

Sorry probably not being too clear, it is all a bit of a shock, so haven't thought everything through

Replies

• Hi all,

DH has been given notice of consultation of potential redundancy. The letter ends, we envisage the role will be redundant.

So I think it is just consultation to follow the legislation.

There is another potential role he can apply for but it is a 1/3 less salary. But if he applies for it he is very likely to be given it.

My question is he has a bonus, which is part of his contract that pays out in April.

He has been told he has met all the objectives required to get the bonus.

If he chooses redundancy over accepting the new job will he still be entitled to the bonus. Is there any legislation protecting this?

The bonus will be more than a redundancy payment.

Sorry probably not being too clear, it is all a bit of a shock, so haven't thought everything through

There are a few things to take into account, if his exit date is in April he will automatically qualify and he could make this a stipulation of his redundancy.

Secondly if his exit date is before April I would ask that whatever bonus was earned up until the point of leaving be paid, again this should be a stipulation.
  • bloolagoon wrote: »
    If this a year end bonus then if his contractual notice means he is still in employment it's paid. If he has left the company and contractual notice doesn't cover this date then it's not automatically given.

Your point is correct but due to the redundancy situation he should be pushing to get it regardless of when he leaves. If he left under normal circumstances that would be completely different and he would waiver his right to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum