Self catering with hired staff?

Options
For those of you who are doing your own catering, will you be hiring staff to help set up and serve, and keep everything presentable, and to clear away for you, and if you are I would be ever so grateful if you could tell me roughly how much they are charging? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• moonbabe58
    Options
    We have sourced our own caterers for our wedding and they are then supplying waiting staff. They are charging £10 an hour per staff member if that helps!
    Expecting Baby No 1 - 20/06/14 - Team Yellow!
  • Thriftygifty
    Thriftygifty Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are having a friend of a friend do it who is trustworthy and will turn up and is clean with a hygine certificate who will wear black trousers white shirt kinda look.

They will lay the buffet out whilst we are getting married clean away all the packaging then topping up the buffet as it goes. Then clearing the plates and cutlery and putting into plastic boxes for us to wash the following day. Then laying out the desert buffet table. We are giving them £100 I wanted to do £60-£80 but my Mum wouldnt havent it! She will prob be here about 4 hours or so.

But if you go to a catering college and get someone etc I would say £10 - £15 per hour is about right. You dont want it to be so little that they might not turn up. Depends how formal you are going. Hope that helps.

What kinda food are you doing? We are trying to think of ideas!
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The staffing cost at our wedding was somewhere around the £2,250 mark - this included waiters/waitresses (around 10 for 120 people), chefs (4?), bar(1), event manager(1), as well as people to construct/decorate/decommission the marquee (3/4). The bulk of the staff were on site between 2PM and 10PM, with around half a dozen still around at 2AM. I think the average wage worked out at ~£15/hour in the end.

It was a chunk of money, but all involved did a fantastic job and conducted themselves in the most professional manner, so no complaints.
  • Mrs_Huggett
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful answers, I will admit I had an ulterior motive as I am thinking of offering this service alongside a Children's party events service that myself and a friend will soon be operating, seems like a natural progression for us at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure