Architect fee - small extension

Options
Small (roughly 1.5 x 3.5 m) single storey extension. Hopefully to be done under PD rather than needing to submit to planning.

Quote is for detailed bulding regs plans and includes talking to the local building inspector to get to conditional approval stage but not the fees payable for the building regs application or site inspection.

Quote is for 28 hours work (4 days). Does that seem fair? Seems quite a lot to me for such a small space but this is the first time we've ever done this

Thanks
That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    assuming that will involve a measured survey of the existing house, designing an extension and detailing for building regs approval, I would say that 4 days is reasonable for anyone, whether an architect, draftsman, or technician
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Agree.

Out of curiosity was is the hourly rate quoted?
  • spiddy100
    spiddy100 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    Hourly rate is £55 so the total will be approx £1.5k plus VAT.

I spoke to another architect/draftsman/technician who gave me a finger-in-the-air quote having heard a description of what we want to do (different, I know, to the first person who has been round and given us a proper quote based on seeing our property) of £500 + VAT. This was after I posted above.

I don't see that there's much "design" involved as we basically want to make a square box into a slightly larger square box. But I fully appreciate I know nothing about this.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The hourly rate is fairly beefy, but sounds like they are chartered architects, a job this size could easily be done by a technician or similar (although just make sure they have insurance etc in place)
    There may be nothing of what you call design in there but someone still has to produce drawings of whatever it is, however when I first read your post I didn't realise quite how small it is!
    The building reg drawings and specs will take a bit of time, as it's mostly to do with the junctions between the old building and extension, they will also do some calcs for insulation etc...
    Definitely worth getting a couple morequotes with that hourly rate tho!
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Agree again.

You should be able to get a perfectly good designer, probably not an architect, for between £25 and £35/hour for a small domestic extension.

Although I would try to push for a fixed fee quote rather than an hourly rate.
  • spiddy100
    spiddy100 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both for your useful advice. Given us an idea of where we are :)
  • superstat
    Options
    Just to put my 2p in...

With regard to the hourly rate please just be careful that you employ someone with the necessary insurances and ability.

For a company that works from an office with the necessary insurance you should be looking at a minimum hourly rate of £35. If you opt for someone that works out of their bedroom after hours then obviously the hourly rate will be lower but will you get the kind of service you are after?

For a simple extension that falls under Permitted Development rights four days should be more than enough time to produce a high quality set of drawings.

Good luck.
  • Maquarius
    Options
    Just to say that if you employ an Architect for a small job, the likelihood of them passing this to a junior draftsman is very large so you do pay the price.
    4 Days is not bad but we would normally charge more around the £750 mark and always fixed quotes.

good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport