Warfarin??

Options
has anyone ever been on this? i am on it and have been for about 4 months.. i had a pulmonary embolism after having my baby. Just wondered if anyone had any side affects from taking it - especially hair loss. arghh - i am only 22 and am rapidly thinning!!!!

Laura
xxxxxx
Baldrick, does it have to be this way? Our valued friendship ending with me cutting you up into strips and telling the prince that you walked over a very sharp cattle grid in an extremely heavy hat?

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a look here:

https://www.embarrassingproblems.co.uk/hairlossf.htm

Maybe you should visit your doctor for advice?
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi bigmomma,

Congratulations on your new baby:)

It's unlikely that your hair loss is linked to taking warfarin. Hair loss is very common in the first 3-6 months following childbirth.

Everyone normally experiences hair loss on a daily basis, but when you are pregnant, hormones come into play. These pregnancy hormones often stop the usual every day hair loss we all experience, and the result is (for the lucky ones) lovely glossy thick hair while we're pregnant.

However, in the post natal period the hormones are reduced and we lose all the hair we would normally have lost (but didn't) over the last few months. The problem is that the hair is then lost over a much shorter period, and therefore seems much more drastic.

I remember worrying myself sick as I watched my hair disappear down the plughole after having my first child. It might be worth talking it over with your Health Visitor or GP, if only to put your mind at rest.

Hope this helps,

Pink
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    my niece has taken warfarin for the past 13/14 years and has a very thick head of hair, agree with the others that it is more related to pregnancy hormones and changes pre/post natal
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations! The joys of parenting! They take your sleep & your hair! I had hair loss for about 6 months after youngest was born, also had to take Warfarin though so I'm not much help! Have you tried ringing NHS Direct 0845 4647 http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/

I have found them very helpful in the past to ask about possible side effects.

This board is for health related money saving, not for specific advice/general discussion, please see posting here
    Kind regards

mini
  • johannamse
    johannamse Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options
    My Dad has been on warferin for 3-4 years. Has had no side effects and certainly no hair loss. He does carry a card around in his wallet, so if he collapses and is on his own, the ambulance people will know that he is on warferin. You might want to get a bracelet or something?

Great news about new baby!
  • bigmomma051204
    Options
    cheers to everone for the advice and reassurance! And i have now read the rules (better late than never!!) and would just like to apologise for my inappropriate posting (cheers for telling me mini!)

Thats me told eh??! :A

Cheers again...

Laura
    xxxxx
    Baldrick, does it have to be this way? Our valued friendship ending with me cutting you up into strips and telling the prince that you walked over a very sharp cattle grid in an extremely heavy hat?
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    has anyone ever been on this? i am on it and have been for about 4 months.. i had a pulmonary embolism after having my baby. Just wondered if anyone had any side affects from taking it - especially hair loss. arghh - i am only 22 and am rapidly thinning!!!!

Laura
    xxxxxx
    From Warfarin.drugscom

What are the possible side effects of warfarin?

Talk to your doctor if you experience
    • excessive gas or bloating
    • diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
    • hair loss
    • decreased appetite or weight
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing