cat not eating, please help

Options
My old boy (12years) has stopped eating, yesterday I managed to get him to eat half a little round tin, the day before he ate his normal breakfast but no tea, he seemed fine that morning still seems ok in himself but a little quiet. If he didn't eat today I was taking him to the vets tomo, now I'm panicing the snow is falling heavy and can't see me been able to get to the vets tomo. I'm willing to walk but it will mean he'll be in his cat box in the cold for about 40mins there and 40 back. I don't know what to do :( any ideas? He's usually a healthy cat and has no none problems, I'm kicking myself now for not taking him today. So far I've tried the little gourmet type cat food, his usual butchers meat, cottage cheese, milk, ham, and I've currently got some chicken cooking. I haven't seen him drink I put milk down but not sure which cat drank it, his skin is still going down when pulled up(if you no what I mean) Sorry for the essay but I'm so worried I'm not going to be able to get him to the vets, its only been a week since I lost my other cat, I can't lose him aswell :(

Comments

• LavenderBees
    LavenderBees Posts: 1,718 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi, Beckin

Sorry to read this. You do sound upset. Take a deep breath. I know it's hard.

If your puss generally seems ok, then try not to panic. Could he be grieving for your other cat? you mention you've lost one recently (and I'm sorry to hear that, too). He could just be realising that he's lost his friend.

In the morning, if he still won't eat, ring your vet for advice before setting out. They may just ask you to keep an eye on him. It will be a hard trip for you both if you have to walk all that way in the snow. I hope you manage to use a car or get a lift if you do feel you need to see the vet tomorrow.

Other things to try - do you have any tuna or sardines - something really strong smelling to try to tempt puss? My 15 yr old Charlie-Cat is losing interest in his own food, but mixed with sardines, it doesn't touch the sides.

I really hope your puss is "just" grieving quietly, and nothing is physically wrong.

ETA - P.S. Cow's milk isn't good for cats as they are lactose intolerant...do you mean you've tried the commercially produced milk specially for cats? if so, that's fine.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    I don' t think it is an emergency yet unless he shows some other symptoms. You could if he is willing wrap him in a towel for the journey. Hope everything will be ok with him and keep us posted. Take care whilst walking
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • BECKIN1507
    Options
    Thanks he's just eaten a couple of little pieces of chicken, I've sent my partner out to get some tuna or sardines. He didn't really get on with our other cat but they realised something was going on and my other cat slept by where we buried her and I didn't think he really liked her either. I'm so worried, he's never not eaten before, I haven't seen him go to the toilet as he usually goes outside, he wanted to go out this morning so I let him but he wasn't out long. A few days after petal died one of the cats was messing in the house, it was a little runny but not like water, it could of been him but I think it was cookie the one that sat by where petal was buried.

He doesn't normally have milk I was just trying anything, he has had milk before with no problems, buts it not something I usually give them. I suppose I worrying more (my partner thinks I'm worrying and getting upset over nothing) as petal could of been poisoned, she was perfectly healthy 1 day, found dead the next, she didnt have a mark on her.
  • Air_Cooled_75
    Options
    I don't want to cause you any alarm, but try to take him to the vet. Older cats can lose their appetite but it can also be a signal of something more serious. Has he lost any weight? I'm sure you will, but monitor the situation.
  • BECKIN1507
    Options
    No he doesn't look or feel any slimmer, I am monitoring him closely and always make sure that they eat, I lost a cat to F.I.P a few years ago, I didn't even realise she wasn't eating as they just had food down all the time. Now they have set meal times and get fed twice a day so I know where they are and they know when to come in. I thought Ice had F.I.P once the vet assured me it was just him getting a little saggy and porky in his old age and it would be very unlikely that another 1 of my cats will get F.I.P. Ice was my 1st ever cat, I really hope he's going to be ok and I will be getting him to the vets asap but the snow is still coming down hard, it would be to dangerous to drive, I have a long road to get out of before I'd get to a gritted main road. I'm going to see if I can find someone with a 4x4 if its still like this tomo. I'm going out of my mind with worry. He's upstairs on my bed by the heater, I'm checking on him every couple of hours, he's purring away likehe usually does.
  • Scrapaholic
    Options
    You must be really worried but I hope he's just gone off his food for a little while because of a stomach upset etc. In the past one of our cats had a tooth that had been knocked to an odd angle , he couldn't eat and it had to be removed . He was fine after treatment . Would your cat let you look in his mouth to see if there's anything obviously wrong in there ? Hope he's better soon , let us know if you can .
  • BECKIN1507
    Options
    I've tried but it's hard so hard, I can't open his mouth, theres nowhere to grab like you would with a dog. When he ate the chicken he was chewing it a bit funny, his breath is bad too. He's just come down and wanted to go out, so I'll try harder to have a look when he comes back in. My partner is useless and won't help even though Ice is very docile, he even lets me cut his nails with no fuss. He's polydactl so he has a couple of nails that he doesn't wear down.
  • dandelionclock30
    Options
    I think he needs to go to the vet tommorrow OP.
    Someone will help ypu out with getting him there Im sure.
  • BECKIN1507
    Options
    Just come to check on ice again and he was trying to wake my son up bless him. He's had some more chicken, I tried to give him bigger pieces but he'd only eat them broken up into tiny bits, I think I saw a ulcer on his gum, would that be enough to stop a cat eating? Maybe could it be a abscess? It does seem like his mouth is the problem, he's not happy when I'm trying to look. I'm hoping I'm not just wishful thinking, I'd be lost without him, he's not your average cat, we call him the cat dog as he thinks he's a dog.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Yes, it could be hurting him a lot.

But he needs to eat. Cats don't cope with starvation like other mammals, they can damage their livers within days if they don't eat.

I know it's hard, but could you mush something up and see if he'll lick it off your fingers? Maybe blend the chicken into gloop with some water?

You might even need to poke some in his mouth (other side to the red bit) and hope some stays in.

But he needs to eat something.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family