What has happened to my photos

Options
Hi, My OH is a surveyor and has photos on his laptop he has to add to his reports, going back through them some of them have been 'chopped up'

When I look at them through 'thumbnail' view they look fine but when you try to add them to report (only in word) or double click to look at them, the whole photo looks like it has been chopped up and put back wrong (Does This make sense?)

Please help!!

Thanks
:p:p Angel :p:p

Comments

• JonnyThunder
    Options
    Sounds like the file is incomplete or corrupt. Sometimes, binaries from newsgroups come down like this too. It looks like 'banding' where the lower half of the photo is missing?

Can you post an example? Also, have you tried opening it in different paint packages??
    Throwing acid is bad.... in some peoples eyes...
  • angelcake
    angelcake Posts: 4,496 Forumite
    Options
    How would this have happened?

A photo he had used in a report before looks fine in the report etc, but when you double click on the actual photo it comes up corrupted, it has, say the top piece has been cut and placed on the bottom and the side and so on....
  • JonnyThunder
    Options
    I've never seen corruption where the image has been moved around. And usually an incomplete jpeg (if it displays at all) will show a section missing.

Very odd issue. What have you tried opening the file with?
  • angelcake
    Options
    I have tried opening it with various compatable programs ie. Windows picture & Fax Viewer, Internet Explorer and Paint. The thing is it has only happened to some of the photos, where there is about 80 in the folder it has happened to about 20 of them.
  • chipsop
    chipsop Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    angelcake wrote: »
    How would this have happened?

A photo he had used in a report before looks fine in the report etc, but when you double click on the actual photo it comes up corrupted, it has, say the top piece has been cut and placed on the bottom and the side and so on....

I think this can happen if you try to recover photos that have been deleted or already corrupted... do these examples look like what your pictures have turned into?
  • angelcake
    Options
    Yes Chipsop that is how they look, i have not touched them since they were put on the computer or the reports though.
  • Chippy_Minton
    Chippy_Minton Posts: 3,339 Forumite
    Options
    The thumbnails are ok because they are stored in a separate file. Search for a jpeg (or whatever format they are) repair program and it might fix them. Attempt any repairs on copies, not the originals.

Also, Start - Run chkdsk c: /r to check and fix errors on your C: drive - change the drive letter if your photos are stored on a different drive.
  • angelcake
    Options
    Would it be because of a virus?
  • JonnyThunder
    Options
    Corruption can be caused by lots of things, not limited to a virus, power outtage during storage or shutdown, power outtage during defrag (that usually makes a mess!) etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure