chris wood

Options
Hi Can anyone help me
I have just won a Belkin 802.11g wireless router on ebay £20 including post. What i would like to know is i have two desktop computers connected to the internet by a usb cable at the moment i am using a crossover wire but can only access the internet on one computer to get two working i have to disable the firewall.Will the above work and if so what extra kit will i need to get the two to connect to the internet securely
Kind Regards Chris

Comments

• seaweasel
    seaweasel Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    If you've got a wireless router then you can either connect to the internet (and between the two computers) with ethernet cables or wireless adapters. In terms of extra kit then you'll need a couple of ethernet patch cables or PCI/USB wireless adapters for your two computers if they don't have so already. You can also do both and use a cable with one machine and wireless with another if that suits you better.

You won't have to (and shouldn't) disable the firewall on either machine when connecting with the router, and shouldn't need to at the moment either (you might just need to open up a port).

Also, I take it you're using ADSL, if you're using cable then you'll need to plug your cable modem into the router.
  • JonnyThunder
    Options
    If it's a wireless router/modem - then you've got everything you need to get the PCs connected. 'most' routers come with four LAN ports, so you just hook up a PC to each.
    Throwing acid is bad.... in some peoples eyes...
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I run 2 desktops and a laptop from a wireless router. The router is installed on my main desktop and I bought a wireless adaptor, cost about £28, which I use in whichever 2nd computer I want to access the net on. Should give you some information in your router instructions.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • seaweasel
    seaweasel Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    A router won't be installed on any particular computer, most routers have an integrated modem, router and hub/switch that allows any machine connected to it to access the network and internet connection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure