Wedding Dress help/rant

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board so apologies if this topic has been massively covered somewhere else but this is also kind of a rant too!!

We got engaged on Christmas Day last year and have set the date of 7th December this year. Can't wait! I have started looking at dresses and have been to 3 shops so far. I set myself a budget of £500, but Mum who is paying said £600. Then we got to the shop...wow my estimations were wrong!! The dress I liked in the first shop was £1100, in the second shop £945 and in the 3rd shop £999. Mum is more than happy to pay that, but I know she will be struggling (Re-married at 40, first time mortgage at 40, meaning she has about as much money as me, not a lot!!)

I haven't found a dress that I would call "the one" more a mixture of a few i've tried on. I'm not a very decisive person and I'm always wondering what else could be out there (i'm not ungrateful though, just a horrible thing I always think when choosing things, very good for being a money saver!)

I can't bear the thought of Mum having to spend that much money, even though she says she is happy to. The MSE side of me is going mad! I've done the usual, checked the style number and designer to see if there is one on ebay but typical me i've chosen 2013 dresses so none are on there yet! Then of course, you come across the Chinese dresses and sites such as landybridal.

I'm a bit stuck and I guess i'm just looking to see what everyone elses opinion is as I can't decide my own!! I'm tempted to try a chinese one, what's £150 in the grand scheme of things? I have a second job at the moment so could cover the cost with that even though Mum said she would pay. But then at the same time, I don't totally know what I want!!

Anyone else in a pickle!?

Rach x:eek:
Debt free (if you don't count the mortgage!)

Comments

• notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Keep looking until you do find what you want. You have plenty of time. Or look at places like Monsoon and Debenhams where the prices are more reasonable.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • rachie29
    rachie29 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, that's a good idea. I got a bit scared because a lady in one shop told me I needed to get looking now, however I think she wanted a sale!!
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Keep looking and watch the sales.

Our daughter got married last November and had a change of mind on her dress 10 days before :eek:. So panic stations and some phone calls and a week before the wedding we went to one shop - the 1st shop - several shops were planned that day, and she tried on several dress, one being on sale. She didn't know that at the time as the lady in the shop had unpinned the sales tag while she tried it on and I was holding it, daughter liked the dress chose to buy and then got a nice surprise as it was down from about £800 or so to £150 :j
    The dress was altered to fit and picked up two days before the wedding.

You have ages yet so just keep your eye on the sales.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    rachie29 wrote: »
    Thank you, that's a good idea. I got a bit scared because a lady in one shop told me I needed to get looking now, however I think she wanted a sale!!

Which is exactly why I didn't go to any wedding dress shops. ;)
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • lil_miss_insanity
    Options
    I'd also look into getting something made, it often works out cheaper depending what you want, especially if you're not a standard size and shape (e.g. I'm quite short). I kept finding elements of things I liked but no whole dress was right. Nearest ones I found were between £1350-£1850 plus alterations. I'm now having mine made to my exact size and shape, incorporating all of my favourite elements of the designer ones, plus 2 separate skirts (day and evening - I'm greedy!) and in-built hoop, for £1280. Plus, that's down South. Fabric probably won't be cheaper but labour may well be up North. That's satin and tons of lace with a long train though, so you can almost certainly do it much cheaper depending on what you like.

Only thing with custom-made is you're less likely to sell it on, as people like the designer ones.
  • cord123
    cord123 Posts: 644 Forumite
    Options
    I would look for places that sell bankrupt stock etc.. I brought my wedding forward as my little boy wasnt very well and wanted him to be part of the day. Because of this we obviously had to reduce out budget (a lot!!) I tried on a beautiful Sacha James dress that was £1100 in the wedding dress shop. My mum said she would pay for it but the shop couldnt get it in in time (wedding was 6 weeks away!) So cue a lot of looking online! I found the exact one brand new, never even tried on! It was from a shop that had gone bankrupt and cost me £250!!!! I still cant believe my luck now! xxx
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If youre anywhere in the north, there is an outlet shop in Northalleton, you may be able to Google it.

My daughter got married last year, we went to one shop, fell in love with a dress on the rail, tried a few more on and went back to the very first one. I believe it was around £850. Its the one in my Avatar, heavily beaded at the breast, all the beads tailed off towards the self train, she looked an absolute million dollars so I would wait till you say 'this is the one' Good luck
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • rachie29
    Options
    Thank you all so very much for your help! I have just googled the shop in North Allerton, 500 dresses!!! Wow!!Might give it a go, it's a couple of hours away but if it means I can get my dress at a price I feel comfortable with then i'm willing to try it! lil_miss I may also look into getting something made, as I guess it can be as expensive as you like!
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    Keep an eye out for sample sales mine was £700 cheaper as it was a sample :)

Steph xx
  • rachie29
    Options
    Stephb1986 thank you for that, I typed in "wedding dress sample sale, north west" and it's brought up bridalbasement in Liverpool. That's closer to me than the North Allerton store so going to try that! Thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure