Any one had experience of roseola??

Hiya,
First of all just wanted to say that yes we have seen doctor who ensures us this is not meningitis.
My 3 year old son has since friday had high temp of 39.1. On sat he went to bed during day (very unlike him!) and i noticed he was covered in rash from head to toe. small red spots that are not joined together or in cluster.

We then phoned emergency doctor who saw son, he said the rash was caused due to the high temp and to give calpol,but now his temp has come down but he is left with rash although it is more noticeable on his face and has faded on rest of body:confused:

Doctor said it is not chicken pox or measles so we are left thinking what is it :confused:
I have found this illness called 'Roseola' ( the 6th disease) was wondering if anyone has had experience of this??, anyones kids had this?? also it says it is a herpes virus what does this mean i thought 'herpes' was std?? or am i completely wrong?? could he have got this from someone with the std they somehow passed it on??:confused::confused:

Any help would be much appreicated xx

''You are Braver than You Believe, Stronger than You Seem, and Smarter than You Think''
A great Bear once said (winnie pooh)

Comments

• Mandles
    Mandles Posts: 4,121 Forumite
    I don't know about the particular one you said but cold sore you get on your face are a form of herpes i believe , so its not a std related thing.
    Secondly my kids have had all kind of odd rashes that i never found out what they were as some viruses seem to carry this side effect.
    Keep him drinking (sounds obvious but my 2 year old went off milk and he ended up in hospital dehydrated as he had got better one day and then really ill and lethargic again the next,)
    Don't worry too much and if your not happy or still concerned go and see another dr as you may be told a bit more.
    Final note. Keep checking posts often as this will probably be removed as we are not supposed to ask medical stuff or give medical advice(i always find this site great though for help like this..nothing like other peoples own experiences!
    hope he feels better soon.
  • This is also sometimes called baby measles and is nothing to worry about at all. It's a viral infection and is completely unrelated to other types of herpes viral infections.

My son had this about 7 years ago (he was nearly 3) but I can't now remember very much about it other than the worry at the time.

This is a fairly good description and should set your mind at rest. Your little lad should be starting to feel better any time soon and will not even be itching, so it's all worse than it looks - not that that would stop you worrying I know. It should also give you reassurance re the causes.

All the best.

http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent.aspx?token=c969dc7d-0aa7-43de-ba12-bfeedab0944f&chunkiid=22832

For some reason I can't get this to paste as a link, but copy this into your browser.
  • Thank you both very much for replies, I am worried to as i have baby (8mths) keep checking her for spots!
    Have read info and feel better now!.

Thanks again\
    xx

''You are Braver than You Believe, Stronger than You Seem, and Smarter than You Think''
    A great Bear once said (winnie pooh)
  • moozikgal
    moozikgal Posts: 144 Forumite
    My son too had something similar over easter, he was only 8months then as well and i was certian that it was chicken pox or rubella. i was told by the doctor it was a virus which normally all children get at least once before the age of 4. After that they cant catch it. He discribed it to me like a cold in the skin and that the virus was just its way of working itself out the system. When i mentioned a cold in the skin to my health visitor, she just laughed and said she had not heard of anything so silly in all her life!

It took about 4 days for him to get back to normal but the rash lingered slightly. It was only red when he got hot but his skin did not feel smooth like normal. it was very rough. I found lots of air getting to the skin, lots of cuddles and drinks helped. I too was told to give calpol but didnt in the end and it faded after a few days.

Hope he gets better soon and if the little one gets it too it wont hurt, it just means his immune system will get stronger :)

vicky
    Deliver us from email....
  • nic62
    nic62 Posts: 25 Forumite
    hey ive had the same thing with my 18month old boy he had a temp then these pinprick spots on friday but i was shopping in liverpool i spent 2 half in a nhs walk in to be told it was allergic reaction so i gave him printon he does suffer with this but i didnt think it was hives ne way hes went to his dad this wk end i got him back last nite n he still had these spot usually wen i give him the printon tehy clear up in a matter of hrs. so i rang the emergency doc he was ok in himself but hes goes to a childminder n i dont want him passing it on. we were seen in about 20 min of my phone call they said its (excuse my spelling on this one) gastro-interious (sickness etc) but he hadnt bn sick that what course the spot there was a 6 hr wait n AnE coze parents been worried ne way soon as i got him! he explodes lovely! so i do think thats what hes got hes just very tired but he stop bn sick just coming out the other way now! i hope this help i think the rash starts 1st b4 it comes out n he had a high temp as well x
  • Anniek1969
    Anniek1969 Posts: 470 Forumite
    My 4yo DD had this in January this year. It really worried us but the doctor said that as it was viral she could only give her calpol and let it run it's course as anti-biotics wouldn't do anything for it.

It took her about 3 weeks to get completely over it but it did leave her very low for most of that time.

As far as I know it's an airborne virus so they can pick it up anywhere. Try not to worry too much as it will clear up in its own time, the body just needs to find an effective way to fight it, once it's worked out what it is it will start to fight it on it's own.

Hope he feels better soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport