So, who's an interpid cyclist?

Look, it's cold and snowy out there, but I really enjoyed my *careful* cycle ride in today. 8 miles into central London. Anyone else been brave?

Comments

• OH cycled into work this morning, although he's only about a mile to go.

He offered me a lift once he got his van but I prefer to walk :)
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Cycled in yesterday morning, short (4 mile) commute into Central London. The main roads were fine, but the side streets were still very icy, had a few back-wheel wobble moments. Fully intended to cycle home, but a flat tyre resulted in a very un-MSE cab ride home. Today I'm on the bus, and hoping it thaws out soon!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • Willowpop
    Willowpop Posts: 856 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    My husband was riding on Sunday, but he refuses now whilst there is ice and snow around as the superhighway was not gritted at all so impossible to ride on. He is on the train for a few days.
    Have emailed tfl to ask why car commuters get grit but cycle commuters are not offered the same.
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! :j Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
    Now to start saving...it's a whole new world!!
  • bltchef
    bltchef Posts: 292 Forumite
    i have been still riding into work tn mile round trip but been very cold in durham but have no option 2 bus and a lot of cash which i do not have plus side of it i have not had a cold but everyone else have had one ride safe everyone
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Had a day and a half when I didn't do any; went out yesterday for 5-6 miles around the local area to check on condition, generally ok, save for residential roads and off-road bridges which were still iced up, so got off and walked over those.

Today, cold rain, which seems to be aiding the final thawing of the snow; cold and muddy for tomorrow, which is acceptable.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have been out the last couple of days, main roads are all fine but the slide roads very slippery.
  • j-josie
    j-josie Posts: 200 Forumite
    DH did the 22 mile return cycle trip to work Friday and yesterday. I was worried as heck, had hot bath and clothes warming on the radiator for him when he got home but he was toasty as anything in his technical gear. Happy as a sand boy & a 'badass' cyclist to his mates :-)
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Still cycling as normal here although there hasn't been much snow, the hybrid can handle a light covering fine and if it gets heavy I'll switch to the mountain bike as it has no trouble with it. I prefer cycling to the car this time of year as I don't need to bother clearing the ice and warming the car up, just hop on the bike and away I go plus I spent a good chunk of money getting a bike that would be good through the winter so that I'd have no excuse not to take it.

John
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    I was driving to work this morning along an uncleared, totally icy road when I saw a cyclist coming down the hill towards me, both feet on the ground, sliding along quite happily! Completely bonkers.
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2013 at 1:10PM
    I've not been out on the bike in the snow. As I prefer cycling through our estate and in country lanes, bridle paths and the like, none of my routes are on cleared roads, most are on ice.

Also these old bones are more fragile than they used to be.:(

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

As an aside, would it be worth swapping the hybrid (Schwalbe Marathon) tyres with the relatively new MTB tyres for riding in the snow?

Dave
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport