We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Daily Charge - Money For Nothing - Thieves

I've had a quick look, but I cannot find any recent Threads about this. Maybe I'm not looking for the right things, anyway:

Has anyone else noticed that the amount for the daily standing charge on their electricity bill has almost trebled with the new round of increases for Feb 2013?

My home bill has increased and today I find my shop bill has gone up also, from 10.09p per day to 27.33p per day!!! An increase of over 270%!!!!!
Now whilst I can accept a increase in the cost of actually supplying a product (electricity), an increase like for supplying sod all is a complete rip-off, but one that seems to have gone un-noticed by the press and governing bodies.

I look forward to reading your comments.

Comments

  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 11,057 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    But this is why your unit cost is low
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • I don't understand your complaint. You chose the product (tariff) from the supplier. No-one forced you!

    Not all tariffs have a daily standing charge. Why don't you just choose a tariff without a daily standing charge?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

    I love my job

    :smiley:
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is why you need to use a price comparison website.

    High standing charge isn't necessary bad if the unit cost is lower as a result.

    If your usage is really low, the best tariff will be one with no standing charge but a high unit cost.

    But other users are better of with a standing charge and lower unit costs.

    If after using a price comparison website you find that there are better deals for your usage, then switch.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,129 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Unless you are a low user, an SC or NSC tariff makes hardly any difference over a year. Smoke and mirrors.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I look forward to reading your comments.
    Has anyone else noticed that the amount for the daily standing charge on their electricity bill has almost trebled with the new round of increases for Feb 2013?

    My home bill has increased and today I find my shop bill has gone up also, from 10.09p per day to 27.33p per day!!! An increase of over 270%!!!!!
    Business rates are much more variable than domestic, could this have something to do with it?

    10.09ppd to 27.33ppd is an increase of 170%, but don't let maths get in the way of a vent.
    Now whilst I can accept a increase in the cost of actually supplying a product (electricity), an increase like for supplying sod all is a complete rip-off
    What, like rent? No product supplied there?
    Standing charges are there to cover the fixed costs, like meter readers' salaries.
  • In general there's no difference between the per unit cost delivered of standing ~ v ~ not standing. Its just marketing in the same way that people want a 3200 CPU in their computer rather than a 286 CPU. Now most people choose the smoke~and~mirrors of a standing charge because they believe they will get cheaper energy, they don't of course, the standing charge netts the supplier the same price per unit.

    macman is correct .. .. Paul Daniels effect of marketing with smoke~and~mirrors !
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,501 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Last year I changed to a tariff with a daily charge that equated to over double my previous supplier yet my annual bill is lower. The only thing that really counts is the final total

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.