We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Predicting energy bills...

GotToChange
GotToChange Posts: 1,471 Forumite
I have had the dubious "pleasure" of moving three times since the start of November.

In the process, I have moved properties as follows:
1. Left my home of just under 13 years, where I had a total understanding of my heating system and energy usage (with S/Power on DD payment. Due (and finally received) about £100 refund when leaving.
2. Next property (didn't actually stay there but in a Travelodge for 10 days). I inherited a PP meter for electricity - with E.On - and credit meter with Br Gas. Even though I had left S/Power on good terms, they wanted a hefty deposit to change the PP meter to credit.
3. To a small bungalow supplied by S/Pwr with credit meters for both - tracked usage (combi boiler in loft, 5 rads) which was higher than my original home.
4. Moved to where I am now and again inherited PP meters with both supplied by E.On again. Took a couple of weeks but now both meters are credit. The usage of gas particularly has seemed higher than in my initial home...
...which brings me to my question to anyone who has read this far and is interested.
I am quite fond of tracking numbers and carrying out calculations, even when it is somewhat depressing - but I do believe that knowledge is power (see what I did there?). I am also trying to asses the efficiency of my system and consequent costs.
Most especially with the PP gas meters, I find that it is very difficult to look at units (which themselves can be imperial or cubic metres) and understand how the £££ used is achieved. The energy suppliers seem to think that all we want to know if what we are paying, which muddies the waters even more than they are by so many different tariffs, two-tier systems, postcode differences etc etc.
Personally (and it may be my inner geek), I think it is very helpful to be able to predict what the power we use will cost us. I have not found any software that can do this - and even when I called E.On to ask them to go through it with me (for example, finding out that the two-tier payments apply daily, not annually, as I had thought....), they did not seem to have a process for being able to.
Does anyone know of a device or some such that is around for doing this?
i.e.
input your dates (no. of days in calculated)
input your meter reading (the previous reading is deducted)
[gas only] all conversions are done for you, allowing also for metric/imperial
input tariff
input st. charge
the predicted bill is given.

I have already got a spreadsheet that can do this - but I wonder if a small calculator-like device would work better for some people.

Anybody know of anything?

Comments

  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Your spreadsheet sounds quite good. There is imeasure that will do something similar but it won't take into account the daily first tier tariff...it will calculate it on a weekly basis assuming you were to use at least the minimum primary units on each day in the period. If one day you were to use none and the next day double then the resulting figures will be different. http://ebico.imeasure.org.uk/
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,183 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have an i-Device app that works extremely well. Calls itself 'meter readings' - logo is a blue square with kWh printed across he lower portion.
    There's a free version, and you can pay a small amount to get a few more options unlocked.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.