How soon to invite on hen night.

Options
I'm getting married June, hen probably in May.

How soon do you invite people on the hen? Invites won't be out march/April time, do I wait til then?

A friend is getting married in October and I've just had the invite to her hen in August, which has made me wonder.
Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....

Comments

• Jessycat
    Jessycat Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    If you are thinking of having your hen party in May, I'd start putting some ideas of dates out there so people know to keep themselves free. :beer: I don't think there is any set rule. I am not getting married until next year but I'm already thinking of what I want to do :cool:.
    Debt free other than a mortgage but still always wanting to save money :j.

Busy saving for my wedding July 2014 :o.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    2 bank holiday weekends in May and Easter in April tell people to save the date ASAP I say..
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have my MOH round next week, I have no say in what it is, where it is, so I'll mention about dates then.

Just seems so early. I don't plan 2weeks ahead let alone months ha ha.
  • cats2012
    cats2012 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    Options
    I got mine in the diary in I think September and it's first weekend in March, most of my friends needed to book it off work .
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
  • DubPrincess
    Options
    I'd let people know as soon as possible.
    I have just been invited on a hen for June but I'd need to pay over £300 as it's in France and there's no way I can save this up in time! Would have been fine if I'd been told a bit sooner
  • wendz86
    wendz86 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just invited for mine in may, was almost impossible to find a weekend everyone could do even 4 months in advance!
  • trinity_enigma
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    I'm getting married June, hen probably in May.

How soon do you invite people on the hen? Invites won't be out march/April time, do I wait til then?

A friend is getting married in October and I've just had the invite to her hen in August, which has made me wonder.

I get married in August and am having my hen in June and I've just invited people an checked date availability over the last month. However it depends what you want to do if you're just having dinner and a night out in your local town then you don't need to organise it too far in advance. If you are planning a whole weekend with lots of activities I would give then a bit more notice especially if any of them had kids.

For my hen there are only six of us but I wanted a weekend away so I wanted to invite them early and make sure they were happy with a rough budget and had enough time to save if they needed to. I was also aware that people might need to travel and book time off work. Plus those that had kids would also most likely have partners attending OHs stag and so we would be taking up 2 weekends of that couple and would be doubly expensive for them.

Anyway like I said it depends on what you are doing if its heap and doesn't take up much time then you're fine, if not plan ahead!
  • sdr2211
    sdr2211 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    I started organising my do at the year to go mark. So last August - only because we should have been getting married then but had to put the wedding back a year and I wanted to have something to look forward to! And, I have family across the world so although they know the date of the wedding, I do want my sister and eldest daughter to be able to be with me and they needed notice. We agreed the date then, but not the actual event. We have sorted that now though and it is within the rough budget people said they were comfortable with which is great. It meant that people could start to save if they needed to and the reminder has also given people with families time to think about childcare (there are a couple of single mums). I think it depends on your circumstances though so if you can and want to plan ahead you can do, if you can't or want something more relaxed anyway just go for it!
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sdr2211 wrote: »
    if you can't or want something more relaxed anyway just go for it!

Relaxed is my middle name :P

I think if we're looking at May, my MOH will get the date out to people around end of March I think. I'm expecting it to be a relaxed affair, we're not going away (that I know) so as long as - can make it and so can she I guess I have to trust her. She has a list of about 25-30 names so its over to her.
  • Bella73
    Bella73 Posts: 547 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on what you are planning and if you want people to attend...I know that sounds silly but with the Bank Holidays in May people may well make plans... you can't expect everyone to drop everything for your Hen.

Also depends how much you are expecting people to pay...I've been on Hens where it's been about £30 but the last one I attended by the the time we finished was about £350 or so
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure