Rac (MBNA) credit card free Accurist watch set

Hi

About 3 moths ago I was invited to apply online (through a pop-up ad) for an RAC credit card which is administered by MBNA bank. The reason I applied was that I was offered a free gift of a ladies and a gents accurist watch set to the value of £110 or so, which would be sent to me within 28 days after I started using the card. I was approved and duly received the card and bought something almost right away in order to qualify for the gift.
Just to be sure I rang MBNA and informed them that I had started spending and was told by the lady that I should receive my watch set within 28 days.  28 days passed and still no free gift. I rang again and this time the lady told me that she would e-mail the MBNA marketing department to let them know that I hadn't got it. Still nothing.  I have rang on 3 different occassions since and now I have been told that I don't qualify as I was never offered the free gift in the first place, something to do with my ref. no or something. I feel that my intergity has been questioned. I would not have applied for the card in the first place only for that offer of 2 free accurist watches. A team leader has promised to get back to me within 5 working days and I have already spent quite a lot of time on the phone to MBNA trying to get it sorted out. How can any business especially a bank such as MBNA justify such a practice?
I will keep you updated. Thanks

joe

Comments

• I know its the principle that matters but the watches are definitely not worth £110 and can can be found on ebay for nearer £10.
  • Ok point taken, but they can't be that bad if Martin sees fit to notify people about this offer on his email newsletter
  • Well they kept trying to fob me off by saying that there was no promotional offer atached to my online application, and I know that there was. Got a letter from them last week saying this. I sent a recorded delivery letter to the manager of the MBNA marketing department asking if the bank was making me out to be a liar or what. Result accurist watch set received in the post this morning :) and they don't look that bad!
  • Just to update I got a letter from MBNA today, and they have admitted that their service was less than satisfactory. As well as sending me the watch set that I had originally signed up for they have been good enough to credit my card with £20 which I didn't really expect, as all I wanted was for them to stick to the terms of their original offer. But it goes to show that if you are less than satisified with any company then do complain, because you will get nowhere by doing nothing.

:D
  • fiobee
    fiobee Posts: 39 Forumite
    Just to update I got a letter from MBNA today, and they have admitted that their service was less than satisfactory. As well as sending me the watch set that I had originally signed up for they have been good enough to credit my card with £20 which I didn't really expect, as all I wanted was for them to stick to the terms of their original offer. But it goes to show that if you are less than satisified with any company then do complain, because you will get nowhere by doing nothing.

:D

Good story and a great result! It's always nice to know some companies are prepared to make good their mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure