We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Switching utilities with account in credit
Hi all,
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, had a look, couldn't see anything, but I could have easily missed it! Just wondering what happens if you switch gas and electric while your account is in credit? I appreciate some of this will be used to pay the final bill, but I know for a fact there will be some left as our electric is constantly in credit (and revised down every few months as a result). Do we get this back? If so, is it easy to get it back or will I have to fight for it?
Any help appreciated! Ta!
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, had a look, couldn't see anything, but I could have easily missed it! Just wondering what happens if you switch gas and electric while your account is in credit? I appreciate some of this will be used to pay the final bill, but I know for a fact there will be some left as our electric is constantly in credit (and revised down every few months as a result). Do we get this back? If so, is it easy to get it back or will I have to fight for it?
Any help appreciated! Ta!
0
Comments
-
Hi,
I switched gas & electric suppliers in October 2012 whilst both accounts were in credit. Once I submitted the final meter readings, the closing statements were issued about 5 days later and I received the credit from both accounts direct into my bank within about another 10 days.
I then contacted my new supplier and requested they take extra for just one direct debit payment so that the credit was effectively transferred to the new supplier and I can stay ahead of the winter costs.I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.
I love my job
0 -
As already said, you should receive a refund after your supply is transferred, but there is one thing to watch out for. Sometimes your old supplier will dispute the meter readings, and this will mean they swallow up your credit.If a man does not keep pace with his companions, then perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. thoreau0
-
Thank you so much, that's what I was hoping would happen, shall get on with my switch when I can next phone!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
