Is an OU grant possible if you already have a degree?

As I understand from the OU website you can get a grant for your fees paid if you meet certain conditions regarding income etc. BUT can you get an OU grant for fees if you already have a degree? Even if your new course is for personal development rather than change of career?

Comments

• seaweasel
    seaweasel Posts: 428 Forumite
    I'd imagine that OU fees come under funding arrangements for your LEA, therefore no you wouldn't get any funding if you already had a degree. However there's always a chance that the arrangement is different for the OU.

Remember you should also be able to get up to £200 a year for certain courses with an Individual Learning Account.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    seaweasel wrote: »

Remember you should also be able to get up to £200 a year for certain courses with an Individual Learning Account.

Only if you're Scottish; we don't have them in England! Apart from this, I agree with your post; funding for a second degree is very difficult.
  • I dont think its the LEA who gives you the grant when its the OU is it? Mind you I might be wrong. But you apply for your grant for your fees to the OU not the LA. I know the LEA dont give you more than one grant.
  • seaweasel
    seaweasel Posts: 428 Forumite
    Only if you're Scottish; we don't have them in England! Apart from this, I agree with your post; funding for a second degree is very difficult.

Ah, I'd thought they were available across the UK.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    As I understand from the OU website you can get a grant for your fees paid if you meet certain conditions regarding income etc. BUT can you get an OU grant for fees if you already have a degree? Even if your new course is for personal development rather than change of career?

In short, no. If you have a degree then you can't get funding via the OU for a 2nd degree. You USED to be able to if there were mitigating circumstances but that loophole is no longer there. Been there and tried every which way round the system.
  • Thanks, thought that might be the case. Wish I hadnt confessed to my first degree now.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Thanks, thought that might be the case. Wish I hadnt confessed to my first degree now.

They'd find out tho' and then you'd be liable for the costs......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure