We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can I switch electricity supplier if it is a de-energized meter?

kingjude
kingjude Posts: 26 Forumite
Flat has a prepayment meter. There is no debt on it or anything. In the UK Power database shows the meter or MPAN as de-energized but I am still being supplied electricity. I found a cheaper tariff with another supplier, can I switch over?

Comments

  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    kingjude wrote: »
    Flat has a prepayment meter. There is no debt on it or anything. In the UK Power database shows the meter or MPAN as de-energized but I am still being supplied electricity. I found a cheaper tariff with another supplier, can I switch over?

    I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question.

    1. What do you mean by de-energised?
    2. You say you have found a cheaper tariff, so:
    a) Who is your current supplier
    b) What is your annual consumption in kWh
    c) What is your supply region (or first part of your postcode)?
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 11,057 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    No it must show as energised
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • If you are a new occupier, beware of electric prepays showing no lights upon pressing blue button. They are commonly bypassed or gone faulty and not reported. You may need a new card in your name and the meter to be re-commissioned by the supplier
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Can't help but think with the use of the word de-energised that the main fuse has been removed for some reason and then replaced by an unauthorised party!!

    There could be more to this than apparent here
  • kingjude
    kingjude Posts: 26 Forumite
    De-energized meaning the fuse has been taken out. But like the previous post said, someone down the line put the fuse back in and started getting free electric. But I have a prepayment meter that was installed last year before I moved in.

    So I can't get a new supplier until the current supplier re-energizes or updates the records about the meter? I am paying 17p per kwh and 6p kwh at midnight.

    I saw a cheaper tariff on uswitch.
  • kingjude
    kingjude Posts: 26 Forumite
    My current supplier is EDF. I have been asking them to sort this out for 6 months now and they keep telling me someone is dealing with it. Ideally want to get out of prepayment meter. And start comparing prices.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.