We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Warmfront Boiler - switching boiler cover from British Gas to Warmfront etc etc

Parisian
Parisian Posts: 410
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi all

I got some really fab advice on here a few months back, which resulted in getting a free Warmfront installation for a Worcester boiler last week! So thank you :D

I also wondered if anyone knows about the following:
1. We have boiler cover with British Gas (along with electrics and plumbing, and a few appliances) - I shall be phoning them once the last part of the installation of our new boiler has been completed to let them know about the change of the boiler. I have heard two things - that British Gas will definately no longer cover the boiler, and that British Gas can continue to cover our boiler - does anyone know/been through this? Will I be able to keep my other cover (electrics etc) apart from boiler cover? I hear the new boiler comes with cover from Warmfront - is this cover any good? Is it worth keeping British Gas? (seems a silly/not money saving question, but BGas have been great for us and I'm reluctant to cancel this service if the alternative is not good/reliable even if it is free).

2. What is the Warmfront cover exactly after new installation of a boiler? Not one engineer/electrician/coordinator has been able to tell me - and I'm awaiting a call back from Warmfront for the last week!

3. My mother is blind - when an engineer came to assess the house they said the Worcester controls are complicated for the sight impaired and they may be able to provide a different control. Well, this didn't materialise. The electrician who came offered to come back privately to fit another control (he described a dial with temperatures, quite simple) - he said this would cost around £100+ and he would charge £50 to fit it. Is this a good price/suggestion? He also mentioned that my mum would be able to maybe get some help from an organisation called Occupational Health who might help with a control more suitable for my mums visual impairment. I can't seem to find details about this scheme - does anybody know about it?

Thanks so much in advance for ANY advice! :D

Comments

  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 19 January 2013 at 10:59PM
    you will have the WB warrenty for the boiler prob 5 yrs but you need to check, unless warmfront have changed their rules, if it was just a new boiler then the installation co is responsible for 30 days then it goes over to warmfront for two yrs, you will also get the first two annual services foc, if you have a prob then warmfront will prob get WB to repair it under the warrenty anyway
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

    You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    Warm front will only cover the boiler not the radiators, valves, pipes or external controls. It may be that bg can tailor your contract accordingly.
  • We have had a boiler from warm front which is covered for 2 years. Our old boiler was covered by British gas and will be using the again when the 2 years has ended. Haven't had problems with new one so cant say what their service is like though
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • Parisian
    Parisian Posts: 410
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Okay - I shall check everything with Warm Front and then discuss it with British Gas. Thanks guys x
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.