Dogs and Flats - Bad idea ?

Options
12346»

Comments

• myothercarisaferrari
    Options
    If space doesn't matter why have all the shelters that we have adopted dogs from (or looked at dogs in) always checked that the house and garden is of suitible (sp?) size before allowing to take a dog home? If the place/garden isn't big enough they won't allow an adoption. The way I see it is if they won't allow it, it is for a reason as shelters do not want to hold onto dogs that can be re-homed/. Would you disagree with this?

Even if we could have a dog here I wouldn't get one because we don't have the space and we couldn't afford the pet plan/vet bills. If you can't give an animal what it needs (and dogs do need space) or afford the vet bills that can come with them you shouldn't have the animal.

So I shouldn't hav my dogs because I live in a flat? An where did I say I cannot afford them? They are both insured, well fed, chipped, vax and both neutered. I dont drink, I dont smoke and very rarely go out. My dogs are what I live for.

I've volunteered for rescues for 6 years, they were well aware I was moving into a flat and are happy for me to continue to foster. I've been homechecked twice since moving here, no problems I have also never known the rescues I help turn people down for living in a flat - the dogs have specific needs, not a wide open space.

If you are concerned about my dogs living in a flat you are more than welcome to spend the day with me to see how they cope living in a small place? The fact of the matter is, its a place to sleep and chill out for them. We are out all the time so what does it matter? If I sat on my !!!! indoors all day, then yes it would be unfair.
  • Bruja_2
    Bruja_2 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I have a dog and live in a fifth floor flat. Here in Tenerife there is a big abondoned dog problem, all the sancturies are overloaded with dogs being left by ex pats returning to the UK and can't afford to take the dogs with them. Many of them are just turned out on the street and are found starving and injured.
    My dog is very small but in my block alone there are at least 30 flat dwelling dogs, some of them quite big and they adapt very well as long as they are walked often. Amazingly there is no noise problem either.
    I'm sure if a dog had the choice of being cared for in a flat or left in a sanctuary or to it's own devices on the street it would choose the former.
    In my opinion it should be the owners that are checked for suitability rather than the premises.
  • nikki702
    nikki702 Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    Options
    I have got a springer spaniel in a flat and he is fine..

Because he gets enough exercise he is as mad as a hatter when he is out but as soon as we are home he is much calmer :)

Im lucky because I live next to a lovely park and take him for nice walks several times a day, there is also a communal type garden downstairs which he thinks he owns LOL
  • Raggs_2
    Raggs_2 Posts: 760 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a large dog, in a small flat, and a cat too. The cat goes out when she wishes (by announcing to the world she wishes for the door to be opened). The dog is walked regularly, has long off lead treks (including up mountainsides).

I know precisely what my dog would be doing if we hadn't taken him. He'd be chained up in a yard all day, if he was lucky he'd have a kennel for shade. I suspect he would have died of heat exhaustion before long.

I live on a kibbutz, where many of the dogs aren't chained, are completely free to roam, they spend 2-3 hours just outside their house, the ones who live close to the dining hall then wander over and wait there for 3-4 hours (to cover breakfast and lunch), and then walk back home. These dogs do not need the space they have, and do not spend all day using it and investigating it.

As I stated before, a lot of working dogs are kept in kennels, smaller than my flat, for large periods of the day. And some of them are the happiest, most well looked after dogs you will know.

I agree that not every dog is suited to a flat. I'd hate to see what a boxer or similarly jumpy dog would do to one. But by no means is it a problem to have dogs in flats in my mind. If your dog destroys your furniture, charges all over the place, barks and generally causes a huge mess in the flat, then I agree, it's not suited to flat living, but equally it could be stated that a small short haired chihuahua shouldn't be left outside all the time in all weather.
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,664 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have a JRT in a ground floor 2 bedroomed council flat.

He has access to a communal garden but is supervised the entire time with me, quick letting him do his business suffices in the early morning. Then at 12ish after I'm back shopping, or finished household chores he is taken for a good 2 hour long walk up a secluded path where he can be off lead and terrier around all he likes, then hes let out about 4ish to toilet, and has another walk about 6 - 6.30. then hes let out again before bedtime either into the garden or around the block. should add too that whenever in teh day if im in the garden hanging out washing etc hes with me and we regularly sit on the doorstep and enjoy a cup of tea and biscuits if the weather is nice . :D
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • carefullycautious
    Options
    If you are looking at having a toy breed you could train them to use a litter tray.

I also live in a 2 bed GF flat and have two dogs. We have large gardens but they are not fenced so my dogs are walked in local woods 4 times a day or taken out as requested. It is hard work and we are planning on moving to a bungalow with an enclosed garden so that we can cut down a little on the walks.

I also know lots of people in first floor flats and they have got used to regular outings with the dogs.

I do dream of having a lie in one of these days instead of 6am walks
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Doom and gloom, I find it difficult to understand what rescues wouldnt allow a dog because the house or garden wasnt big enough? The only thing checkers worry about is the safety of the dog, not how luxurious or otherwise its surroundings are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure