We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Newb in a new house with no info... Help please!

Hi,
I've recently purchased a flat and I got the keys today. (I'm still staying with my boyfriend until some basic things are set up)

I was looking through guides for getting the cheapest electricity and gas bills so I could set things up immediately but I have no information to start from.
I don't know what supplier the previous owner used or on what tariffs. I also don't have a clue as to how many units of each I am likely to use in a month.

Where do I start? I have the previous owner's personal mobile number, but feel it might be cheeky to ask lots of questions? :o

Any help appreciated as I am a total newb to all this
Elmo :) xx


No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries August 2019
Frump to Fab 2019

Comments

  • Surely this information is in the buyers pack? If it isn't it should be. Good lord - it is a basic common sense question to ask when making such a large financial commitment.
    Just ring the seller and ask - I am sure they will not mind telling you which company they had electric and or gas with. It was easy in my day as each company was region specific with no option to move from different companies like it is today. Also make sure that you take a meter reading from both meters as soon as you can. Write them down and keep them safe. Once you know the company(ies) involved you can then give them the readings and tell them your details. You have to open an account with those companies and I would suggest initially going down the standard tariff route to avoid any exit fees until you sort out who you wish to deal with, once you are moved in. Also do same with the water as that should be metered. Most are nowadays.
  • As far as I'm aware, water isn't metered here (I'm in Edinburgh). It's part of Council Tax. But I'll double check.

    I'll have another look through all the documents relating to the house and see if I can find anything if not I'll send the seller a message.

    Thanks for letting me know I need to open an account with the previous companies before I can switch. Wouldn't have known that. I just bought a digital camera to take pictures of the meters for readings (amongst other things like any small repairs and things that might need done).
    I feel like I've got so much to do, I just didn't know where to begin!
    Thanks again :)
    Elmo :) xx


    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries August 2019
    Frump to Fab 2019
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,129 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 19 January 2013 at 9:17PM
    As above, you are in a deemed contract with the existing suppliers, so take readings and register with them without delay. Only then can you switch, which will take 4-5 weeks. Use any comp site with estimated kWh readings to find the best tariff.
    Water in Scotland is either paid as part of your CT, or if metered, to Scottish Water.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.