We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Green deal - £270 cash back off a new boiler

MarkBargain
MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
I moved into a new house recently and the gas bill was £331 for two months. The boiler is an old one with a pilot light and there is a water tank upstairs, so I think an upgrade to a combi boiler is in order sometime soon.

I have been reading the details of the Green Deal (https://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/11/tackling-climate-change/green-deal/6715-the-green-deal-cashback-for-energy-saving.pdf). Has anyone on here claimed off the scheme and is it worth looking into further?

British Gas is one supplier who offers the Green Deal, but I expect they are hugely expensive to start with.

I have a feeling I'd be better just to get quotes off a local plumers for a new boiler system, but if anyone would like to add any comments please do. Are any local plumbers likely to be in the Green Deal scheme?

Comments

  • spiro
    spiro Posts: 6,405 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    IT Consultant in the utilities industry specialising in the retail electricity market.

    4 Credit Card and 1 Loan PPI claims settled for £26k, 1 rejected (Opus).
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Hi Mark, it will be interesting to compare a private quote with that from an approved dealer.
    My experience with the Energy Savings Trust is that traders have to recover their 'authorised' dealership costs so quotations are usually way over the top.
    Just another way of keeping the banks in business.
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    spiro wrote: »

    There are only 12 supplies on that list for England, and British Gas are not one of them.
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Hi Mark, it will be interesting to compare a private quote with that from an approved dealer.
    My experience with the Energy Savings Trust is that traders have to recover their 'authorised' dealership costs so quotations are usually way over the top.
    Just another way of keeping the banks in business.

    I expect you're right Ken, and that a good local Gas Safe Engineer would be cheaper. I'll get some quotes.
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,429 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I put in Scotland into the link and when British Gas came up it showed it covered England, Scotland and Wales.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.